How should my audio setup be setup?
Aug 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nignog

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I'll try to keep this as simple and precise as possible.

I use my home studio for both music production and daily-driver computer gaming and business use. Currently, my sound is going from my computer to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface and I'm listening to that via the headphone ports. In a month or so, I'll be moving my interface a bit further away from where I'm sitting (it's currently right beside me and a 6" cable does the job of going from interface to my ears just fine). I'll be purchasing a pair of K702s very soon not only for the longer 9" cable but also just to upgrade my cans. I'll probably be getting a Schiit Magni/Modi combo for my K702s. Now, my question is, should my signal chain look something like: computer -> (focusrite interface) -> dac/amp -> headphones? Should I be looking to eliminate the audio interface from the chain (I need it on to use my microphones for voice chat even if I'm not producing). Please let me know if I didn't clarify myself well enough. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 9
try hooking up the Microphone to the Interface then to the computer and from the computer to the DAC and then to the amp to drive the headphones, it would be optimal if you can achive it, if not, then an optical/digital out to the magni from the Interface would work, is any of these possible to do? 

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 9
I can do either or, but the first options seems like a hassle since I probably won't be able to monitor my music during production (thought I'd be perfect for everything else during daily use). Would I lose any quality going from Computer > Interface (Optical OUT) > DAC/Amp as opposed to the other way around?

If anyone else has any ideas, please do let me know.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Sorry I'm a newbie to the DAC/Amp idea so I want to get this as clarified as possible.

Computer -> Interface (Optical Out) -> Modi (Optical In) -> Magni -> Headphones

Correct? If so, I'm pretty sure this will work. I just hope my K702s will be driven properly by this combo, and that my Focusrite doesn't add any bad coloring.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, correct. I think optical out will be straight through the volume pots or something which should ruin the sound unless you have Pot noise, but this is the optimal setup and it will power your AKGs plenty.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 9
I made a thread on reddit a bit back to get an idea on how I could get this setup the most optimally and it was stated that the optical out won't work as intended. The link the thread is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/2diqaa/simple_question_about_driving_akg_k702s/

Is this true?

(off topic): When I turn the headphone volume knob on my focusrite up, I can hear white noise. It's barely audible when it's below a 5, but around 5 and up it gets more and more distinct. Is this normal?

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 9
  I made a thread on reddit a bit back to get an idea on how I could get this setup the most optimally and it was stated that the optical out won't work as intended. The link the thread is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/2diqaa/simple_question_about_driving_akg_k702s/

Is this true?

(off topic): When I turn the headphone volume knob on my Focusrite up, I can hear white noise. It's barely audible when it's below a 5, but around 5 and up it gets more and more distinct. Is this normal?

It looks like ADAT can be disabled, wonder if it would allow the Modi optical to work with the Focusrite?
(I'm just guessing as some of this stuff is over my head)

Digital Channel Outputs (Outputs 11-20) 44.1-96kHz

1. Stereo S/PDIF output on RCA 
  2. 8 ADAT outputs on Optical Connector, reduces to 4 outputs at 88.2/96kHz
  3. Optical output can be switched to S/PDIF 3/4 in software preferences (ADATs disabled)

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Just a thought.. but would it be possible to use the Magni/Modi combo for my headphones, and use my interface for my microphone/monitors/everything else without it being a hassle? (I mean having it work without needing to toggle software settings a million times per use).

It looks like ADAT can be disabled, wonder if it would allow the Modi optical to work with the Focusrite?
(I'm just guessing as some of this stuff is over my head)

Digital Channel Outputs (Outputs 11-20) 44.1-96kHz

1. Stereo S/PDIF output on RCA 
  2. 8 ADAT outputs on Optical Connector, reduces to 4 outputs at 88.2/96kHz
  3. Optical output can be switched to S/PDIF 3/4 in software preferences (ADATs disabled)

Interesting.. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff so I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back