How should I start, need help.
Mar 27, 2014 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gexdd

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm new here, regards to you all. It's my first post. I think I like THIS forum and want to go further in Head-fi area. The problem is how should I start up?
The situation is: I think I can afford a audiophile headphone, but if I bought the top ones without experiencing the lower level, I won't be a really audiophile......in the future. So, I would rather get start from the Entry level or Mid-range level. Do I need to start from budget headphones? I have two pairs of Apple earpods, got from Iphone 5&5s(my wife's). I think they sounds not bad(probably because I haven't gold ears), and how they compared with the entry ones(refer to the buying guild). If they could be valued the entry level, then I could start from the mid-range. How should I go? Need helps! thanks!

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 14
Personally I don't think you need to start at a low level headphone and work you way up. Just start where ever you want.
What kind of music do you like to listen to as this can drastically affect what headphones you should go for.
Most headphones that come with phones or you had as a kid where likely to be low level ones.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks for your reply. For me, i usually listen to pop, blues, classical, never metal or electronical. Perhaps I should start on mid end first, Im afraid i just cannot catch my need properly, or choose the suitable for me.

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 14
I listen to a lot of electronic music. Ultrasone, Beyerdynamic, V MODA are good bassy brands of headphone.
Sennheiser, Shure, AKG, I believe are better on the mids which may be better for you. I no expert, sorry couldn't be more helpful

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 14
what is your price range?  do you already have the source/sources you want to use?  where do you do most of your listening?

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 14
thanks for your reply. For me, i usually listen to pop, blues, classical, never metal or electronical. Perhaps I should start on mid end first, Im afraid i just cannot catch my need properly, or choose the suitable for me.

I like headphones with bass emphasis for electronic genres, and then non-bass emphasis for others. So many of us have multiple headphones to kind of suit the type of music we are interested in listening to. Rather than trying to find the general headphone that might do everything well, maybe you might want to focus on your favorite genres first.

what is your price range?  do you already have the source/sources you want to use?  where do you do most of your listening?

I agree. What you are going to use them with is an important factor in headphone choice. And then specifying your budget certainly would help.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 14
I would go straight to very good mid-priced models, especially open ones if you don't need isolation. A fine start would be HD600 (you can even buy one used here) and an amp such as O2.

If you feel "guilty" about going straight to the good stuff, try some pretty decent cheap stuff too, such as KSC75.

At some point, you have to try Grados too to see if you love them (or hate them). Go for SR80i.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 14
I'm new as well to Hi-Fi listening, though I would say that for the price point, Sennheiser HD 598s are a great starting point. That's what I have, complimented by a set of HD 280s as well.

After doing some reading, I think maybe HD 598 is a quite good choice for beginners like me. Agree with you. But still wondering, if I should purchase a MOMENTUM for playing on-the-go, which was a closed headphone and easier to carry&listen outside. Though I know the former one is better, I still have a bit hesitation. I haven't got a decent portable headphone yet, if you were I, which one would you buy first?  -_-||

Currently I made a budget of sub-$300, no more than 350, for my first step. For now I'm always listening to somewhat pop or light music in itunes plus+ AAC format played with my ipod. Usually at home or in office. Sometimes but not very often used in the streets.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 14
A portable is a sensible start too.

Momentum has small earcups. That's true of a number of portables: the Focals look small too, and even HP50 isn't so big. Might be unavoidable.

Momentum is sort of dark sounding, but it's rich and sounds much larger than the drivers would suggest. I was surprised by how good it is.

I haven't heard the new Focal yet. You might like one of them. HP50 is probably not neutral enough.

I'd recommend SRH840, but you'd have to mod the headband to make it comfortable. Since you want to get started already, go with something else.

Start by perusing these reviews to get a sense of what's out there: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed. Read the summaries; then watching the videos on page 2 of the ones that interest you. (Note: the prices are out of date and usually lower.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back