How should I spend ~$300 or so?
Dec 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zorodius

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to spend something like $200 to $350 upgrading my audio setup. I'm listening to CDs or MP3s through my laptop's headphone jack, with Sony MDR-V6 headphones. I don't know what kind of sound hardware is actually inside my computer, or how to find out.

Where would I most benefit from upgrading this setup? Should I get a new set of headphones, or is my audio most crippled by the limitations of my laptop's sound hardware?

If I should get some new headphones, where should I start looking? What kind of stores will actually let you listen to a recording of your choice with various headphones to make a decision?

The one thing I'm pretty sure about is that I need closed circumaural headphones - I usually listen in my dorm, where it's pretty noisy. While I'm listening to music, I don't want to hear the people around me more than I have to, and I don't want them to have to hear what I'm listening to either.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 24
I'd probably go for a better source first. Maybe a USB DAC?

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd probably go for a better source first. Maybe a USB DAC?

I happen to be in the market for one as well. Could you recommend some good ones?

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 24
You really don't need to invest on an external audio card because likely closed circumaural headphones, provided that the technology can bypass the need for a high-end audio card, should suffice. I would say look around the web first for brands such as Sennheiser, Ultrasone, any audio specialty brand that is praised on this website.

Good luck!

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 24
Sennheiser H-25 are wery good closed phones.

Dec 17, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Firestone audio FUBAR II. Its a usb dac. Also, they make a better model called the spitfire, which has multiple inputs, and is 24 bit.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesther /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really don't need to invest on an external audio card because likely closed circumaural headphones, provided that the technology can bypass the need for a high-end audio card, should suffice. I would say look around the web first for brands such as Sennheiser, Ultrasone, any audio specialty brand that is praised on this website.

Good luck!

Are you saying that good headphones bypass the need for a good source? I'm tired so I might be misunderstanding you.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 24
Headphones typically come before source, but none of your components can be crap. I would recommend you put $120 of that towards the Echo Indigo DJ for your laptop. The other $280 should go to some great cans that meet your music preference. I can't tell what cans to possibly recommend without more information, but since you want closed, I guess the first thing that pops into mind are the Beyerdynamic DT770 or possibly the semi-closed DT880 .

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 24
my main source is my dell laptop as well.
currently i am doing this.
laptop -> Super Pro DAC707 USB(around $110) -> amp -> headphones.
super pro dac707 usb is not a high-end equipment but it does the job very well for me.
you can go with a better dac but i think you need an amp as well, and thats why i recommend the one i have. you can get it for around $110 and buy an amp with the left over money.
or you can just do some research on this very forum and look for a usb dac that has built in amp.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 24
It sounds like most of you are suggesting that I upgrade the source before the headphones. I'm pretty new to this, so the idea that the DAC would help more than the actual headphones is surprising to me. Especially since even I don't know what kind is in my computer.

I've got my own opinion after listening to each, but in principle, which should be a better sounding source - my laptop's headphone jack, or my ipod's?

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my main source is my dell laptop as well.
currently i am doing this.
laptop -> Super Pro DAC707 USB(around $110) -> amp -> headphones.
super pro dac707 usb is not a high-end equipment but it does the job very well for me.
you can go with a better dac but i think you need an amp as well, and thats why i recommend the one i have. you can get it for around $110 and buy an amp with the left over money.
or you can just do some research on this very forum and look for a usb dac that has built in amp.

I would be willing to bet that the Echo Indigo DJ beasts that Super Pro DAC707 USB. I know, external equals separation theory, but do you think that 16bit/44.1 or 48khz beats the 24bit/96khz with built-in headphone amplifier?

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorodius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like most of you are suggesting that I upgrade the source before the headphones. I'm pretty new to this, so the idea that the DAC would help more than the actual headphones is surprising to me. Especially since even I don't know what kind is in my computer.

I've got my own opinion after listening to each, but in principle, which should be a better sounding source - my laptop's headphone jack, or my ipod's?

probably your laptop. But neither are a good source in most professional opinions or even amateur. We are not recommending source before headphones necessarily, just a small source upgrade before you spend an overly large chunk on the headphones.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 24
I'm in a very similar situation to you Zorodius.

I have about 400.00 I could spend to upgrade and I'm not sure what to go with. Right now I'm thinking about a E-Mu 0404 and a Sennheiser HD595.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be willing to bet that the Echo Indigo DJ beasts that Super Pro DAC707 USB. I know, external equals separation theory, but do you think that 16bit/44.1 or 48khz beats the 24bit/96khz with built-in headphone amplifier?

Most of your source files are going to be 44.1 Khz/16 bit, so why does this even matter?

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #15 of 24
hippohifi was suggested to me as a DAC/amp when i was looking to upgrade a soundcard. that is, if your only going to be using it for your laptop. as it only is powered through usb as far as i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back