How should I set the volume of my source?
Jul 16, 2007 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Goh

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I've read some conflicting suggestions on this and would like more input. I have an M-Audio Transit as a source right now, and I would like to know what the volume should be set at on my computer to get the cleanest signal to my amp.

The person who sold me the CMOY suggested setting it at my favored unamplified listening level. Before, I plugged my headphones into the lineout of the Transit and set the volume at about 1/3, so this is what I did. Then I read somewhere on these forums that the volume of the source should be set at its max. Finally, I read at the Xin forums over at fixup.net that the source volume should be between 1/3 and 3/3.

Is there a conclusive answer to this? When I get an external DAC, I will connect my Transit to it via optical. Is this a good idea and what should my volume on my computer/Transit be?

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 6
You should put the sound level of your computer at max, as for myself I hear a good sound quality difference when the volume isn't at max. And about the optical, I think it's even better than the normal line-out, anyway it's one of the best connection...

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 6
I get best results setting the source to a high level, then using the amp to control the volume. Not max though, maybe 90% of max as max gives distortion on some sources.

You can play around with it to give a good volume range, depending what components and music you're using.

For example, if I listen to something through Windows media player (very rare), then I can control the volume on WMP, the PC volume and the volume on my Xin amp. If I set the Xin and PC to a high level and turn WMP down low, the sound is terrible, very noisy. If I turn WMP and PC to max I get as good sound as possible, considering.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 6
The trouble with using MAX volume as output from a device, is the fact that that setting leaves no "headroom" to handle transient spikes in the volume -- otherise know as "clipping".
Been there, done that, on many, many amps and sources.
Use a medium volume, when possible, so those powerul transients come out at full resolution, without clipping.
Your amps, and/or ears, will be happier.
Try it and see -- do a compare.
Depending on various factors, you may or may not induce clipping.

Jul 17, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I see, so the results differ from source to source. I will trust my ears and tweak with them, then. Thanks for the help, all.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The trouble with using MAX volume as output from a device, is the fact that that setting leaves no "headroom" to handle transient spikes in the volume -- otherise know as "clipping".
Been there, done that, on many, many amps and sources.
Use a medium volume, when possible, so those powerul transients come out at full resolution, without clipping.
Your amps, and/or ears, will be happier.
Try it and see -- do a compare.
Depending on various factors, you may or may not induce clipping.

That is like applying replaygain? I find that replaygain "takes out" 6 - 10 dB on any recent pop songs. On my sound control panel, that amount translates to 1/3 or more down from the max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back