How Should I Read/Determine Requency Responce for Headphones?
Jan 16, 2005 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
I tried looking for tutorails and all of that online, but all of them are for diffrent purposes and whatnot. I've been reading frequency responce graphs with the though of "The flatter the line is, and the closer to '0 dBr', the better". Is this correct, or is there a curve I should watch out for?

Also, I've been getting FR graphs off of headphone/headroom, since they include them with so many of their products and keep the same layout. Is there a better site to obtain them? Is there a way to compare two headphones in the same graph?

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
I tried looking for tutorails and all of that online, but all of them are for diffrent purposes and whatnot. I've been reading frequency responce graphs with the though of "The flatter the line is, and the closer to '0 dBr', the better". Is this correct, or is there a curve I should watch out for?

Generally it's like that for audio components and maybe speakers. But for headphones there's a certain dips required to re-create the perceived 'flatness' for speakers, due to its proximity to ear canal. That's why you see all those dips (and unfortunately, also peaks) on headroom charts: simply not comparable to speakers' FR. Google "linkwitz headphone" to find interesting read on those dips.

You might also think stereophile's "translation" of speakers' charts to be interesting. Of course FR is only a part of objective tool to get a taste of a product. Charts will not tell you how a product will sound like, rather they will show you if there's any glaring fault with it.

You can compare phones on headroom page, it's the only source I can find for headphones' FR measurement - most likely due to the more difficult method to properly measure phones.

Jan 17, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 4
If you want to determine flatness, the best way is to get a signal generator and run a sweep of tones through an equalizer. Adjust each band of the EQ so the relative volume sounds the same. Your frequency balance will be displayed as a curve on your equalizer.

A less exact way is to take a full frequency range recording with an easily recognizable sound (a symphony orchestra is the easiest) and adjust it with an equalizer frequency by frequency to sound as natural as possible. It might take several days worth of listening and resting your ears to do this, but with careful listening, it can be very accurate.

Once you've properly equalized your headphones or speakers, you will be astounded at how much clearer, transparent and more present the music sounds.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back