How should a good used Grado SR-60 sound like?
May 28, 2005 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

G.H.

Head-Fier
I am about to purchase an used Grado SR-60 from someone here, I have no experience with Grado SR-60 or any Grado products, what I experienced in headphones are Koss sportapros and portapros, I am not sure what I can expect from Grado SR-60 if I want to test it. I don't know what kind of sound quality ensures that used Grado SR-60 is in good condition?

The seller hasn't use his SR-60 for long time, but his brother is using them on the computer, he said "he has this nagging feeling their sound has changed, ever since his brother plugged them into the computer". He said they sound fine comparing to E2c and Senn 580, but it is inconvienent on bus.

I am going to test them on Sony SRF-S84 in public place. My experience with my sportapros and portapros are:

Sportapros has more deep bass, portapros has more cleaner/balance sound.

Is Grado SR-60 sound more like sportapros or more like portapros? Will my tiny portable radio able to drive them? I am going to use SR-60 on computer and sp/pp for portable.

Thanks in advance.

May 28, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 10
The Grado should sound less bassy and bloated than the PP's and at the same time have more deep bass. The high end should be a million times cleaner, and the mids won't be as hidden.

May 28, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
The Grado should sound less bassy and bloated than the PP's and at the same time have more deep bass. The high end should be a million times cleaner, and the mids won't be as hidden.

x2...
SR60 will sound more tight and refined. Notes should have a more distinct attack and decay. Busy music sections should sound more focused and less conjested. vocals should be placed front center stage, guitars slightly to the sides with drums thumping throughout. Bass guitar tends to move around, (front to back to front) depending on the recorded material.

**edit**
you should also notice increased dynamics.. the quiets will be super quiet while the louds will be like AC/DC at madison square garden.

Garrett

May 29, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Ok, here is what I got from the seller, he bought it from ebay, he said his Grado SR-60 sounds different from where he first brought it, he uses it on computer. Can someone please describe how Grado SR-60 sounds(in reference to portapros)? I have no idea, and I don't want to buy a lemon.

I am going to meet him today, so any help would be appreciated.

May 29, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
It sounds different because of burn-in, it's not a lemon.
Lemons won't sound different, they'll sound broken.

Can you describe how does it sound after burn-in?

May 30, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 10
Kramer's post is a good run-down of how they should sound after burn-in.

With decent gear, the bottom line is that the 60's should sound BETTER than your PP/SP's. If you are going to listen to them on a cheap portable radio, you can count on them sounding like crap.
If the person is being honest about the computer changing the sound, it is surely from burn-in and not damage caused by the computer. I can't imagine a soundcard that could damage the 60's, even if listened to with the volume very high.

If you need to make a quick decision about buying/not buying, consult the feedback forum. It’s the most dependable means of insuring the quality of a buyer/seller.

May 30, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 10
One thing Ive found with my SR40 (same drivers as SR60) their sound can vary noticeably if you increase / decrease the clamping force (bend the headband). With a tight fit they are much bassier, to a fault IMHO. A looser fit opens them up considerably, and brings out the highs. I wear them just tight enough so they dont fall off.

**edit**

My description above is post-burn in.

Not sure how good the stock cable is on the SR60. I know its a lower grade than the 80 and 125. My SR40 came with this pathetic, dental floss for cable. Recabled it with star quad and it really brought out the lower mids and helped with the sub-bass extension.

Garrett

May 30, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the information, especially kramer5150. Unfortunately, the seller decided not to sell it. It is very strange, I am the buyer and I demand to know what I am buying, I ask about where he bough it, is he the first owner, any modification, any paper/box/adaptor, those simple questions, appearently it is too troublesome for him, I haven't even seen the picture of his Grado SR-60, he decided to lend it to his friend. I don't know what his problem is. Cann't a buyer know what he/she is buying? He has no reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back