How sensitive are the er4s?
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting the er4s. However, I'd like to know how sensitive they are compared to some other IEMs out there. I'm hoping they are much less sensitive than the E4C, as that is a bit too loud for some music by the time my amp channels balance out. I have the SE530 also which is much more sensitive than the E4C it seems as that one is blasting by the time the channels balance on my XP7, and even on the tomahawk with unity gain it is too loud for some music which I want to play at a low volume.

So just how sensitive is the er4s compared to the e4c or other headphones out there?

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 11
It's been a while since I had the E4 but I remember it being quite easy to drive (about on par with the Er6i IIRC). The ER4S is nowhere near that efficient.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 11
The ER4P/S aren't as sensitive compared to the SE530. I'd say about 20-30% less sensitive

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoonf144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ER4P/S aren't as sensitive compared to the SE530. I'd say about 20-30% less sensitive

At least...probably more. You really need an amp with them.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as that is a bit too loud for some music by the time my amp channels balance out. I have the SE530 also which is much more sensitive than the E4C it seems as that one is blasting by the time the channels balance on my XP7, and even on the tomahawk with unity gain it is too loud for some music which I want to play at a low volume.

Have you considered that this might be because most iems don't require external amping?. Iems tend to be extremely sensitive and efficient. The only iem that kind of requires an amp is the er-4S (even then the difference is small in my experience.) If you want to color a set of iems with an amp fine, but don't expect objective improvement.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting the er4s. However, I'd like to know how sensitive they are compared to some other IEMs out there. I'm hoping they are much less sensitive than the E4C, as that is a bit too loud for some music by the time my amp channels balance out. I have the SE530 also which is much more sensitive than the E4C it seems as that one is blasting by the time the channels balance on my XP7, and even on the tomahawk with unity gain it is too loud for some music which I want to play at a low volume.

So just how sensitive is the er4s compared to the e4c or other headphones out there?

For the ER-4S, plan on an external amp to properly power them. I would recommend a ER-4P with a P/S cable, that way you get both!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered that this might be because most iems don't require external amping?. Iems tend to be extremely sensitive and efficient. The only iem that kind of requires an amp is the er-4S (even then the difference is small in my experience.) If you want to color a set of iems with an amp fine, but don't expect objective improvement.

I disagree. I notice a huge difference between iPod headphone out and LOD + Mini3 using my ER4s. The highs are muddy from the iPod but extremely resolving from my Mini3.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You didn't consider I'm driving them with a line level source thus requiring an amp. In fact, if I put my SE530 in anything other than my tomahawk, they hiss like crazy and the first volume level above 0 is too loud already. I don't need super sensitive headphones. I'm hoping the er4s is as inefficient as some full size headphones and require 1/4 volume on the dial to be at proper listening volume.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 11
The ER-4S is the one headphone I've kept for 8 years. I can confirm that it is as insensitive as many full-size headphones whether you mean in its need for amplification or to your sensibilities regarding how well you would have liked your favorite artists to have recorded their music.

On the other hand, if the 9V battery in my Corda 2Move is dead when I'm on a plane, I can still listen through the iPod headphone jack. I just need to turn the volume all the way up to reach a reasonable volume.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the ER-4S, plan on an external amp to properly power them. I would recommend a ER-4P with a P/S cable, that way you get both!
ksc75smile.gif

Agreed.

Brilliant earphones, I'm preferring them to my SE530's and re-listening to my music. The detail is amazing.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can still listen through the iPod headphone jack. I just need to turn the volume all the way up to reach a reasonable volume.

Awesome, this is good to know. Meaning I can likely use my Emmeline XP-7 with AD797 without staying at the very beginning of the volume dial. Hopefully that means less sensitive than the Grado RS-1, which is a bit too sensitive to me in certain cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back