How Schiit stack A/B completely blew my mind
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

franzdom

500+ Head-Fier
Background: until this week I have not used a headphone amp or dedicated DAC.

I consider myself sonically sensitive, I grew up amidst jazz halls in Detroit and listening to a lot of jazz and rock at home with our Sansui system. I am a decent amateur horn player, and have an extremely varied taste in music.

In my quest for better sound from my computer with my beloved DT-770's (80 ohm) I started with a Creative SB card, the Z model, and it sounded a lot better but exposed some flaws in my headphones. They are 10 years old, I am not sure if they are slightly blown but they have definite rattle with higher power on bassy sound testing. It does not show up in normal listening but now that I know it's there so I acquired new DT-770, the Pro 250 ohm.

So with the sound card and new headphones things were cleaned up but I was still on a quest for better sound.
Schiit all started with the Asgard 2 a few days ago. Loved the extra power but some songs became unlistenable.
Bruce Hornsby's Spider Fingers sounded pretty bad, I just knew it was the fault of the sound card and not the amp.
Other songs were still very much enjoyable. 

But yesterday I stacked my Schiit to the perfect height. 

Asgard 2 now sits on Bimby and my mind is Bifrosted with this A/B tower. I love the ultra quiet floor, and I explored so many different kinds of music.
The real test came when I went back to the Spider Fingers, it sounds great again.

I apologize, this is certainly not a proper review, just a giddy post from a guy who got a nice set of headphones 43 years ago, and always wanted more. I feel like I am very close to nirvana. It is time to just enjoy the music again, and perhaps try more different headphones. 

Big kudo's to Head-Fi for guiding me, and for Schiit for offering quite good gear at a level that I find palatable. I love the clean look and smaller package of this staack as well.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 6
A slippery slope indeed, the A/B are gone replaced by L/Y, Lyrr2/Yggy
DT-770 replaced with DT-1770 & LCD-2

Not sure why I rested for 10 years then went crazy, must have been the Bimby me thinks.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Lyr 2 is gone replaced with Mjolnir 2.

There is a wrinkle though, I have repurchased Asgard 2 and Bimby. The little stack sounds so darn good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back