How powerful an amp do you need for 10" passive speakers?
Oct 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

onemorething

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to all of this :)

I've got myself a cd player with rca stereo outputs, just need some speakers (and an amp) for my bedroom. I'm looking at some 10" passive speakers some guy has and am wondering what the minimum sized amp is that could run them without being so underpowered that it causes them damage.

I'm on a shoe string budget and am not looking to get much volume out of them which is why I want something small. At the moment I've been skimming through some small 12V amps but somehow I doubt that that's enough. I understand that underpowered speakers are vulnerable to malfunction.

As far as I can tell the speakers have similar specifications to this: http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/QTX-10-DJ-PA-2-Way-Passive-Speaker-Monitor-200W-Max_i3207.htm

Gracias and Much Thanks!

On another note: the sub woofers in those 10" speakers are dead. I hear that this is something that can be fixed and I have a basic level of competence with computers and stuff (and have time, patience and very little money) but have no experience with audio equipment to date. How difficult would this be, would it be easier to replace them?

Oct 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Depends on the sensitivity of the loudspeaker. There are 15 inch units that work perfectly well with 5 watts but there are also 6 inch drivers that need a good 50 watts. If the sensitivity of your loudspeaker is the same as the one in the link you'd be fine with 45 watts (good watts that it) per channel.

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, this all seems more complicated than I had anticipated.

err... just to clarify. If I want a speaker compatible with a smaller amp (say 12V, 25W), I want to be looking for speakers with a lower "sensitivity" or a higher "sensitivity" (in units of dB)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back