How portable are the AKG K271's?
Dec 7, 2004 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

D41LYBR34Dm4n

New Head-Fier
Right now I've got Grado SR-60's and I've been lugging them around in my backpack for 2 years without any problems, so unless this baby is really fragile or whatnot...

Also, I hear they're good for metal/hard rock, but that may just be preference. Any truth to this?

Dec 7, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 46
You may want to ask a certain head-fi member named philodox...
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 46
lol kyrie... yeah, I'm pretty much the only person that uses them portably around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for commando's comments, I have been using my K271S portably for the last year and they are holding up fine.
cool.gif

I've also had no problems with them slipping or not being rigid enough when mobile... but I do have a fairly large head.
tongue.gif

Recently I got a Headroom Headcase bag, which is far preferable to what I was using before to carry them. If you have been carrying around the Grado's already, this will be a minor change at best. A little more bulky and about the same weight. If you get the Headcase it will be even less of an issue. Personally for me the benifits of a full sized headphone outweigh the negatives of using them portably.

I sent you a PM with a link to some of my thoughts on their sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Construct
I wouldn't want to throw my K271s in a backpack. I think the headband would get bent pretty easily.

Those 'tubes' at the top would be pretty damn hard to bend unless you sit on them or something... and the part that rests on your head is meant to bend. I dont think there would be much danger of wrecking them in a backpack as long as you were at least slightly carefull. I think mountain climbing with them would be a little over the top, but wearing them on the subway is a simple thing I think.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 46
I'm not alone!
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 46
I "beg leave" to mention AKG K141S.
It's cheaper, smaller, semi-open (less of a dangerous thing outside), supposedly not so different sounding.
It's supra-aural, but comfortable in my own experience & less sweaty.
But- it sounds sweet, very well balanced apart from a moderate (subjective) excess of bass, which can actually be helpful in a noisy environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back