How or will the output impedance of a power supply affect the frequency response (esp low freq) of a head amp
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How or will the output impedance of a power supply affect the frequency response (esp low freq)...

Can someone get me some advice on this matter?

This is entirely conditional on about a zilion things, and that may not even cover it. 

If the output impedance of the PS is constant at all frequencies (which is rare) there is no real difference at low and high frequency. For sure, the system as a whole will probably suck, but it will suck equally everywhere. There are probably some arguments that say that this is a great way to do something, I just cant think of what. 

Since you rarely have a *constant* high-output-impedance power supply things get interesting. In very very very general terms when the output impedance of the PS increases the output level of the amp will decrease. 

There are certain guidelines that apply to mono, stereo, balanced amps, and amps that drive the load from one side (AKA SE amps, even though they are largely not) after this BUT I cant be bothered. 

And to restate you asked how much 1 apple and 1 banana weigh, so this is only an average answer. The 3 cherries and 2 oranges you weigh (after asking about 1 apple & 1 banana) could weight much less. Or more. 

Advice on the matter - just build low output impedance supplies. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Well if the PSU output impedance is relatively high, and the amp's decoupling capacitors are relatively small, then you can get low frequency roll off due to the decoupling capacitors having low impedance at higher frequencies and higher impedance at lower frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back