How open is open?
Jan 7, 2005 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMedic00

Head-Fier
I wanted to try out some open phones, but I worry that the noise will bother other people in my house, even when they're in other rooms since I listen to my headphones a lot at night. I've never tried an open phone before, so I have no idea what to expect. The closest I have is (don't laugh) a Sony MDR-V250. Anyone know how the leakage of a HD555 or DT880 would compare? Thanks.

Jan 7, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 12
The answear to this question lies in the ambiant noise level of the home where you will be listening to the headphones as well as the auditory conductivity of the home. If you live in a home where not much noise is transmided from floor to floor and room to room then there is one up for you. If you live in a home where the ambient noise level is very low and you can hear the cat meow at the end of the driveway while sitting in your living room daydreaming and nothing else going on then open headphones may disturb others. I think you get the point. Try listening to some music on the radio at a low volume, put your ear up to it untill it is about 60-70% of how loud you think you will play your headphones and then go around the house and see how much you can hear. The reason I say only 60-70% is that headphones will not be quite as loud outside the system of the cups and your head as will a radio. How does all this sound, logicly that is?

Jan 7, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #5 of 12
I have friends who always keep music on at low volume levels (so that it's barely audible). My HD650s, at normal listening levels, resembles this. Of course at peak levels, the 650s resemble medium/semi-loud volume levels of speakers.

I hope that horrible description helped you in some way.
blink.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 12
I find open headphones too open if I have someone trying to sleep in a nearby room with the door open. I like to listen to music pretty loud and find that I need closed headphones if my wife is sleeping in the next room. Ambient noise is quite low late at night so open headphones may not be suitable depending on the situation.

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 12
The HD580's are too open for not disturbing anyone else if you like a lot of volume....

Many years ago my dad got of bed (opposite room, both doors closed), came in and started screaming at me to turn the music down. He ain't that fussy either so it must of been loud
smily_headphones1.gif

I like things very loud though, sometimes so loud I end up with ringing
smily_headphones1.gif

Theres nothing like Counterstrike gunfire through the 'phones, that can be clearly heard.

My GF can sleep in the next room with the doors open while I listen but I am concious that quite a lot of sound escapes, so I keep the voume down a bit.

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Coal
I doubt open-headphones could be loud enough to disturb people in other rooms.. Unless you are near deaf and play music at ultra loud volumes..

wink.gif
You've never tried Stax. They are as loud outside the can as inside - the drivers are completely and truly dipoles with no chassis interference on both sides. At well driven volumes you definitely can hear them through open doorways.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 12
I've used the RS1, HD650, and dt880 (normally at low volumes, I sometimes crank it up at night). My parents sleep in the next room. They hear nothing. Except me singing along. La la la la la boom!

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 12
I would go with open cans, because 1. They don't leak enough to wake someone up at moderate volumes and 2. if you hapen to sing along or anything you won't look as dumb, because they will also be able to hear some of the music.

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I have the HD555s and if the door is open my girlfriend can here the music and is able to tell what song it is. But i think i listen to music pretty loud... probably to loud
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back