How often does your Transit USB have glitch?
Jan 24, 2005 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, my transit usb (Groovelab Transit usb) is making me crazy. When playing music, it often glitches (loud white noise) if I do some work. Not heavy work, just things like page down a webpage (IE) or typing in Word will make it glitch. and also msn messenger, when ever a message pop up it will glitch.

Did you meet same problem?

My music players are foobar (with 5 sec buffer size), jet-audio, microsoft media player. Transit latency is 'very high'. machine is dell inspire 8100, PIII 1G, 512Mb ram.

Thanks! my ears are still ringing

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 7
Interesting, nobody have had similar problem.

Well, I solved it, It was some kind of hardware configuration problem.

I was suspecting IRQ conflict, but XP don't allow us to modify IRQ, so I first disabled 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC', then reboot. Windows found all hardware as new hardware and installed driver one by one. Reboot again, problem gone. - but i lost ability to 'stand by'.

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiesteve
Where do you change this setting in Windows XP? I can't find it...

I'm interested too. I've had some past issues with a CD burner that I maybe could have fixed with that trick. Is is possible to regain your "standby mode" capability?

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 7
The issue with the CD burner may be that Windows has decided to put it into PIO mode instead of DMA for some silly reason. Open up device manager, go to the properties of your IDE controller, and see if this is the case (fixing it by selecting "DMA if available" if it is).

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 7
I found instructions here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/archive/index/t-4116.html

quote:
=============================
Phantasm6601-30-2003, 03:12 AM
With the ACPI Hardware abstraction layer, you CAN'T really change IRQs in the operating system. And its likely if you change settings in the BIOS, it will just ignore those as well. Moving the card MAY help to change the IRQ, I don't know but again it might well not. ACPI pretty much gives the OS license to do what it wants with IRQs, and you will probably find loads of PCI devices lumped onto one IRQ and governed by ACPI. This is by design so that IRQ conflicts become a thing of the past. But as you have discovered, sometimes it becomes necessary.

Here is how you could overcome this.
-----------------------------------------------

You Do This At Your Own Risk.
--------------------------------------

1)Right Click My Computer, Select Manage.
2)Opens Management Console.
3)Select Device Manager.
4)Click on the + next to Computer (Top Icon under computer name)
5)Reveals "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC"
6)Right click that, select properties.
7)Go into "Driver" tab
8)Click "Update Driver"
9)NEXT
10)Display a list of known drivers for the device
11)NEXT
12)Click "Show all hardware of this device class"
13)Under (Standard Computers), select "Standard PC"
14)NEXT, NEXT, etc...

15)Reboot and pray.

Hopefully all will be well when you reboot. A number of things will be different. One will be that some advanced power management things DO NOT WORK. Particularly, its likely that if you select "shutdown" from the start menu, it will just shut the OS down, and you will be left with the old message "its now safe to turn your computer off" instead of the actual power going off, i.e. you will loose the ability to power down using software and will have to press the power off button on your case. You may also get IRQ conflicts because you will have lost advanced IRQ management and will instead have to rely on the BIOS trying to do the best it can to make everything work. Try to set "Plug and Play OS installed" to NO in your BIOS if you have such a setting. You might also want to run a "Reset ESCD Data" as well first time round.

Good luck. You might need it.
=========================

For the 'can not stand by' problem, that is because I have not install latest display driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiesteve
Where do you change this setting in Windows XP? I can't find it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back