How often do you change your Shure foamies?
Jan 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dave_pass

New Head-Fier
I'm new to IEMs. After shopping around I've settled on the UM2s with Shure foamies. My head is finally getting used to the feel and sound, and it's getting happier each day.

My question is, how often do people replace the Shure foamies? After only about 1 1/2 weeks mine look dirty and I'd have to believe they'll begin losing the snug fit & great isolation soon.

It's going to get expensive to replace these things every 2 weeks. What have people found is a good lifespan with daily use of these little yellow guys?

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Hmm...

To answer your original question, I would say 'not often enough'!

I am still using the original foamies that came with my Shure E4Cs... Ewwwwwwww!

Anyway, I discovered that they can be washed. I use liquid soap, and gently massage them in my hands. Then I rinse and dry them very thoroughly. They clean up good as new. The only issue I can see is that they don't seem as 'soft and smooshy' as they originally were (this is going by memory). They still work and seal well enough, but they aren't quite as comfortable as they were in the beginning. As such I ordered a couple of new pairs.

I really think it depends on how much you use them. For me a good guage is when they aren't 'soft and smooshy' anymore (probably 5 or 6 months of normal use for me - assuming you wash them every now and then to keep them clean). Here is an inside tip: There is currently a guy on Ebay who is selling 50 pairs of them, and he will let you buy as many or as few pairs as you want, so check that out!

Good luck!

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Even with washing, I don't think most people are getting more than a few weeks out of a pair. Not to worry though, I just got to see the new black foam that Shure will be releasing really soon. They're cleanable and should last up to 10 times as long as the current ones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Have you tried the Shure soft flex sleeves? After you figure out which size is right for you, I find the comfort relatively very good (although they don't quite totally disappear).

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the responses. The poll results are interesting, and dirty. I did try the soft flex but just couldn't get the right fit. I found the Ultimate Ears equivalent of the soft flex tips to provide a much better fit for me, but I'll give the Shure soft flex another shot.

I'm looking forward to checking out the black 'longer lasting' foamies. Why is it that what works best is rarely the easiest? Because if that were the case we'd all be out of a hobby.

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Since my ear canals are about the size of the yellow foamies, maybe just a hair smaller, they don't last very long for me. I have to use the Ety black foamies, and trim them down to get a good seal!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Not to worry though, I just got to see the new black foam that Shure will be releasing really soon. They're cleanable and should last up to 10 times as long as the current ones.
biggrin.gif

And do they sound as good as the current yellow ones? Shure's foamies are the best for UM2s
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 10
It's one and done for me, folks. I just can't deal with re-using them. Not sanitary enough.

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Geez, I don't know what disgusts me more, Imilhan or Skylab!
smily_headphones1.gif

My experience is that with daily, prolonged use, two weeks is about the limit of flexibility on the Shure's. The Ety's last just a little bit longer, but I find their smoother texture is more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back