How NOT to get robbed
Mar 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I have never been robbed before, and of course I never plan to. Unfortunately, it is inevitable and I need to learn ways to mitigate the risks.

Today, I was almost robbed by a group of kids. One kid (though I must admit he seemed to be 20-23yrs old) asked "The time man, the time?". And of course, I've heard these stories before. There is like 5 people behind him, so why is he asking ME the time, right? Of course it was a ploy. I was eating a sandwich, and was in no position to look at the time, so shrugged him off, and walked away. And then the other kids, who were behind him, said, "he lied to you man, he got a fone in his pocket." But I got away without further ado.

I have gone to this school for the past 2-3yrs and I've never experienced something like this. Frankly, I haven't had someone try this on me anywhere, so I must admit it was pretty frightening. But it is impossible to not walk through this block on the way home. First of all, the school is located in the Bronx, right off of Lehman College. There is this street called "Paul Avenue" which is simply a short North/south throughway, that is not exactly very frequently traveled. Yet, it is better than the other roads near the school. This is the road most kids take, and there are no problems in the morning. But after school, for example, the street can be extremely shady. Very few people walk through there, and there are no places to "run", since it is simply a straight street. The portion of the avenue that I need to walk is adjacent to a park, which is currently closed for construction (adding to the shadiness). In front of the school, there are no problems with safety. At the end of "Paul Avenue" lies Lehman College, and of course, their security is sufficient so that there are no worries about safety there. But this block, which takes about 5 minutes to walk, is impossible to pass through without concern. I often find myself putting on a hood in order to "blend in" and not be a target for attention. But what can I do.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I could do to decrease my risk for target? The area is not the best, but the school is one of the best in the city, which I go through a 1hr trip each way in order to get to. I think that I am not the first one to be robbed, and I trust that fellow Head-fiiers will be able to offer sound, supportive advice.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 113
I'd just like to say that I know people who have lived to a fine old age without ever being robbed. It isn't inevitable.

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 113
you could walk around with a cup in your hand, right?

glock.JPG
and you can go like "excuse me mr robber, im gonna have a drink"... and BANG!

or maybe a spoon, for when you eat in public..

knife2.JPG
or an innocent box of tissues

m3.JPG
"sir, I want to clean my expensive portable rig so you can have it shiny and clean" ... hell never see it coming.
Or "please dear robber, allow me to clean my tears as I give you my most precious rig" .... BAM! in the face.

perhaps a sixpack of cold drinks to enjoy with the friends..

m16.JPG
"how would you like a soda with your loot good sir? taatarataratratartaratrtrataratra! next thing you know, you are searching his wallet to buy more portables.
no on would ever suspect...

but in all seriousness, the best way is to go low profile with the audio gadgets. luckily, robbers would be more attracted to beats and bose than to real other headphones...

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 113
How do I not get robbed? Situational awareness, not being in places I shouldn't be, EDC a flashlight, running shoes!

To be honest, as unnerving as your story is it doesn't seem to me like the group was trying to rob you. I too know of stories where robbers will try to distract you, but yours just doesn't seem quite right. If he wanted to rob you, he would have especially with a group behind him. Also, why would the other guy in the group say that the leader was lying? 

I also disagree about wearing a hoodie to "blend in". While I do agree that it is excellent not to make yourself stand out, I wouldn't put anything over my head that blocks my peripheral vision or hearing. Remember it may be difficult to hear/see somebody approaching from behind if your head is covered by a hoodie. 

I realize you cannot carry many knives in NY, but you should consider looking into a flashlight. Not only does it serve in aiding visibility...but with a good enough light you can temporarily disorient somebody and use the light itself as an impact weapon.

I'm not claiming to be any sort of professional or expert on staying alive. Just trying to offer some common sense and hopefully helpful tips. Keep your head up and stay safe!

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 113
Is it a bad thing that I know exactly what McFrogger's post is about even though the images won't load for me? I guess I need to get off the internet

Anyways, I second the CCW idea, although I hear that it's tough to acquire one in New York and NYC especially. If not a gun than at least try to carry a pocket knife.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 113

Quote:
Is it a bad thing that I know exactly what McFrogger's post is about even though the images won't load for me? I guess I need to get off the internet

Anyways, I second the CCW idea, although I hear that it's tough to acquire one in New York and NYC especially. If not a gun than at least try to carry a pocket knife.

same here..images doesn't show. 
maybe a pepper spray? and running shoes.. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 113
I wouldn't walk anywhere without my eraser combo
those who are surgeons or avid hobbyists will know that that is a olfa utility knife and a swann morton scalpel w/ a #11 blade (expired of course since 1982)

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 113
I was joking with the weapons, i dont think a gun is a good idea, what are you gonna do? kill a man just because a set of headphones? as much as i hate the idea of somebody taking over others people hard earned stuff just because he's too much of a lazy to get a decent work and received no education, it aint worth a human life. if that ever happens to me, I'd just hand the headphones/player down and leave.

and yes loremipsum, get off the computer..

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 113

Quote:
I was joking with the weapons, i dont think a gun is a good idea, what are you gonna do? kill a man just because a set of headphones? as much as i hate the idea of somebody taking over others people hard earned stuff just because he's too much of a lazy to get a decent work and received no education, it aint worth a human life. if that ever happens to me, I'd just hand the headphones/player down and leave.

and yes loremipsum, get off the computer..

well, I would start with the less sever weapons such as my scalpel /eraser combo, or a 32tpi bone saw
scratch the latter, too hard to carry in your pocket, custom machined aluminum 6", 12" spike, apparently they were really hard on the machinist's mill

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 113

Quote:

http://madtown.cc/d/27616-1/Slow-Clap.gif

In Texas, the solution to every hypothetical confrontation is to kill some poor misguided person. My state is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back