How necessary is a Gilmore Lite? HD650 and DT770
Sep 23, 2006 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So I've been using X-fi --> GLite --> HD650 for a long time now.

Today I picked up a Sony STR-DG800 receiver. It's a low/mid level receiver I guess and has a direct 1/4" headphone out. I was wondering - how comparable is this out to a Gilmore Lite? As far as I can tell, the headphones sound fine coming out of this! (I can't hookup my Gilmore lite to compare now, need a cable).

Any opinions on quality difference between these two? I may end up selling my Gilmore if people think it's similar!

Any opinions welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 8
...selling the Glite in favor of Sony receiver, why that's just crazy talk I tells ya.
tongue.gif

I recommend doing some serious comparison when you get the cable. Spend enough time with both amps so that you become familiar with the certain qualities that each has.

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
...selling the Glite in favor of Sony receiver, why that's just crazy talk I tells ya.
tongue.gif

I recommend doing some serious comparison when you get the cable. Spend enough time with both amps so that you become familiar with the certain qualities that each has.

There are speaker amps that could compete with the best of the heapdhone amps in the market, and give them a good run for the money, not the case of this Sony probably, but that is not a general rule...My Marantz PM7200 sounds very very good with any heapdhone, and you get a defeatable tone network in case you need to play and have fun, processor in an out, to insert the crossfeed in the play, etc...I will be perfectly happy with no amp having the marantz around honestly, but that is 450.00 dualmono Class A amp...but we have also a lot of vintage amps that sound very good, the case of those legendary Marantz, Fisher, Pioneer, and Sansui integrated amps form the 70's, with huge PSUs, and huge cap banks....

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
There are speaker amps that could compete with the best of the heapdhone amps in the market, and give them a good run for the money, not the case of this Sony probably...but we have also a lot of vintage amps that sound very good, the case of those legendary Marantz, Fisher, Pioneer, and Sansui integrated amps form the 70's, with huge PSUs, and huge cap banks....

I have read about those beefy vintage pre-amps and receivers, but I've never had the opportunity to listen to one.

I have a Denon 2802 receiver from 2002 (mid-level) and its headphone out sounds thin compared to my Micro and WA3.

I'd bet that most of these $100 portable amps we all read about will out perform the $250 receivers of today.

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 8
yea.. the G-lite sometimes inspires those comparisons. you could always upgrade to a better amp. otherwise, let your ears decide.

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the responses everyone. I do go by my own ears but I just wanted to see what people thought of a comparison between the two options
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably I'll pick up a cable tomorrow and do some comparisons. I don't really know what to listen for and I have bad hearing so I'm guessing I won't hear a difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back