How much you spend on audio ought to be proportional to... (add your own)
Jul 24, 2002 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
My dad is a serious hypocrite. (Love ya dad) He can spend five thousand dollars on his 70 Cuda while I can't buy a W100 and a Sr 225.

Cuda good
W100 bad
Dad smart

Tell dad to join HeadFi.
wink.gif

(I'm teasing you Matt, don't wig out.)

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 30
I spend what I can afford. Right now I need to dig into the funds for truck repair. 4WD trucks are not the best thing when it comes to spare parts. I am doing front end work and the $$$ are flying away. Worse yet is that the parts are hard to find and I am having to mooch rides.

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 30
I think it's more important to look first what you demands are from your system and than try to find the fitting items.

I thing a lot of people buy overkwality or they just buy something because everybody is buying it because it's in.

I do a lot of mountaining and I see it a lot down there too.
People buying expensive stuff to give themself a image.

A friend of mine sais.

"You can earn a image or you can buy an image".

Peter.

Jul 24, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 30
I really don't think too much about how much I spend on audio gear. It just depends on how much I have at that particular moment. Hence, more than likely, it's a disporportionate amount. I guess it's because I just don't have anyone to be responsible for except for myself (being a student and all).

Although, recently, I've been considering selling my car to get some new audio gear. It's not as big a deal as it sound since I don't drive as often anymore.

Forgot to add, I was thinking of getting a cheap used motorcycle, just to learn how to ride. Any suggestions?

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #20 of 30
What I can afford. I take a look at my audio system, what I like about it, and figure out where the weakest link is.

For example, when I got my MG Head and Clou Blues (hey, come on, not everyone can afford to dump the Clous for Cardas), I sat back and realized that the Sony S550D DVD player I'd been using as a CDP sucked. So I decided that that would be my next upgrade...

Now, doing some comparisons, I'm realizing that my Etys outperform the HD600s in a lot of ways. I don't need a new CDP, nor a new amp (or at least I can build my own in that department), so guess where the next upgrade will be? Electrostatics and Gilmore Discrete, baby
smily_headphones1.gif
[thanks to the cute racoon with headphones for inspiration there]

Of course, that'll probably come after the METAblock...

Jul 26, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #21 of 30
Discrete? Eric... there's this new technology they've invented called the "valve." Ask Gilmore about it.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 30
I think the amount of money to be spent on Hifi should be proportional to
(a) the maximum size of overdraft available
(b) maximum consumption of freeze-dried noodles at 0.19 per packet
(c) ability to walk everywhere, buy clothes in charity shops and avoid getting addicted to smoking, alcohol, caffeine, cars, women or drugs.
Failing on a couple of these things, but loads of overdraft left, woohoo!
Andrew

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
New CDs... running out of ideas...

Here are my recommendations:

Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Through the looking glass"

David Bowie - "Hunky Dory"

Gustav Mahler - "Symphony no. 5"

Muddy Waters - "Chess Box"

These are just a few of many. Forget upgrading for a while...there is so much music out there to discover.

Jul 27, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #24 of 30
mmmm.........Siouxsie and Banshees.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #26 of 30
Very well said in your first post kelly.

I'm an watercooling overclocker, and am using a 7 foot "bong" to cool it off. Not a single person i've met in the real world thinks that i'm sane. (i'm willing to bet a few hi-fi'ers will think so too)

Regardless, we love music, and want to explore it in different ways, and experence it in a better way then before. I'm a believer that you should spend your money on what makes you happy, and music makes many of us happy. Is it justifiyable? no. Should we care? of course not
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:31 AM Post #27 of 30
Kelly- Let me quote from Gilmore's article on the discrete amp: Quote:

This solid state amp is so much better than my tube amp that I no longer listen to it. I'm not a solid state snob; it's just plain better. The people who have listened to this amplifier (some of whom were giants in the industry in their day) love it, much more than my tube amp. I love it too. I can't stop listening to it. The tube amp has moved into a secondary position in my listening rack.

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #28 of 30
Eric
I read that too, of course, before contacting Gilmore privately.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is more information to be had.

Jul 31, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 30
Master Bloggs is making the correct audiophile move by only listening to music for a few hours a day. I myself spend all my waking hours listening to music, writing it, tracking it or practicing it. I'm like that Pavlovian mouse in the cocaine experiment, hitting the sonic snow button until said wee one wastes away to a thimble of once-ecstatic follicles (only in my case, the consequences will be deafness, not deathness). Makes me remember why, in England, *gear* means heroin.

MB's hearing will outlast his compatriarchs' by decades. Therefore he'll have far more time to revel in head-fi fetishism.

Jul 31, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Electrostatics and Gilmore Discrete, baby
smily_headphones1.gif
[thanks to the cute racoon with headphones for inspiration there]

Of course, that'll probably come after the METAblock...

I strongly suggest the Kevin's pure class A. It's really nice sounding.
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't heard Meta42 but I'll guess that kevin's amp is better. That's just my guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have no need for portable amp sooo....

Jayel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back