How much would you have to spend for a decent audio system?
Aug 1, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #31 of 41
If you're counting only the Xonar STX sound card and the upgraded power supply, less that $400.00 USD.  But I have to write, getting a top dog headphone like a HD-650 is a big plus.

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 41
I'm kind of lost, now. Dalamar makes perfect sense explaining the DAC situation (or rather the links in his sig). Still, I think I'll have to trash the idea of getting a desktop, so might it be reasonable to find a DAC after all? Laptops aren't exactly famous for their sound capabilities.

For the price, are the Audioengine A2 all that bad? I see lots of people swearing by them. £125 doesn't sound to steep but, then again, I'm not exactly familiar with prices.

Back to square one, then. Any recommendations for reasonable (and reasonably good-looking too) studio monitors out there? I might get them in the UK or the Netherlands (or online, for that matter).

EDIT: beeman458, I'm not sure how your post fits with the rest. Is there something I'm missing?

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 41
The M-Audio and Berhinger ranges sound o.k. but they don't last very long.

Fostex make the components other manufacturers use so their own brand is good value. So are Samson.

If you can afford a bit more.

KRK Rokit range is good fro pop and electronic. ADAM are good for acoustic  and classical. They'll both do rock well.
Mackie are also popular.

After that also consider Dynaudio, Focal or money no object Genelec & Event,

I get the impression what most audio pros fart about on at home are either Genelecs or ADAMs. ADAMs are less expensive and have a 5 year guarantee.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #34 of 41
setekh wrote:

Dalamar makes perfect sense.....

Don't be writing that, he'll become incorrigible.  Oh, wait.....

j/k

biggrin.gif

If you're counting only the Xonar STX sound card and the upgraded power supply, less that $400.00 USD.  But I have to write, getting a top dog headphone like a HD-650 is a big plus.

EDIT: beeman458, I'm not sure how your post fits with the rest. Is there something I'm missing?

In your OP, you wrote below:

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of system would be deemed acceptable by your standards. I mean, how low-end can you get without taking a huge hit in quality. I don't consider myself to be

My response was in response to your above.  I tried to put some context in my response below.

In the case of a new desktop, you want at minimum, a top flight sound card like the ASUS Exxence, Xonar, STX instead of the onboard  the MoBo sound processor.  And it doesn't hurt, when putting your desktop system together, to have a top end power supply added because the Xonar card needs it's own 12v molex power supply.  In the end, you want to buy the best set of headphones you can afford as I don't think too many people would argue this point.

Sorry for the loss of context.  I was veerrry late to the party and wasn't watching the OP date.

redface.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #35 of 41

Quote:
setekh wrote:

Dalamar makes perfect sense.....

Don't be writing that, he'll become incorrigible.  Oh, wait.....

j/k

biggrin.gif

In your OP, you wrote below:

Anyway, I was wondering what kind of system would be deemed acceptable by your standards. I mean, how low-end can you get without taking a huge hit in quality. I don't consider myself to be

My response was in response to your above.  I tried to put some context in my response below.

In the case of a new desktop, you want at minimum, a top flight sound card like the ASUS Exxence, Xonar, STX instead of the onboard  the MoBo sound processor.  And it doesn't hurt, when putting your desktop system together, to have a top end power supply added because the Xonar card needs it's own 12v molex power supply.  In the end, you want to buy the best set of headphones you can afford as I don't think too many people would argue this point.

Sorry for the loss of context.  I was veerrry late to the party and wasn't watching the OP date.

redface.gif

Haha, my mistake, then.

Sorry, it didn't cross my mind that you were referring to the OP (which is only reasonable). I just don't think I'll be getting a desktop anymore, since I will be moving often and it's one less thing to worry about.

I can appreciate that the HD650 might be much better than the K530 I own, but I'm quite happy with what I have. Maybe I have lower standards or I just don't know what I'm missing (since I'm not familiar with the HD650). I just feel that for the £250 it costs, I'd rather get a pair of speakers 

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #36 of 41

Quote:
The M-Audio and Berhinger ranges sound o.k. but they don't last very long.

Fostex make the components other manufacturers use so their own brand is good value. So are Samson.

If you can afford a bit more.

KRK Rokit range is good fro pop and electronic. ADAM are good for acoustic  and classical. They'll both do rock well.
Mackie are also popular.

After that also consider Dynaudio, Focal or money no object Genelec & Event,

I get the impression what most audio pros fart about on at home are either Genelecs or ADAMs. ADAMs are less expensive and have a 5 year guarantee.

Cheers for that. Based on your brand recommendation and Phelonious Ponk's, I'll start looking for input on the following models (which are readily available around here)

Samson Resolv A6 (£225 a pair)
Yamaha HS50M (£240 a pair)
KRK Rokit RP5 G2 (£250 a pair)
Fostex PM0.5 MKII (£250 a pair)
Mackie MR5 (£270 a pair)

Just for crap and giggles, would a pair of Fostex PM0.4 MKII or Samson Resolv A5 be significantly worse than the mentioned models? They end up for less £50 than any other option.

Granted, any of these will be a big chunk more expensive than what I had budgeted. But if they're well built and will last for ages, I might compromise.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #37 of 41
It's all about power and weight. What happens in the lowest 2 Octaves.

Samson Resolv 5a have a 5" driver which claims to go down flat (+/-3dB) to 50Hz and offers 140W pair.

Samson Resolv 6a have a 6" driver which claims to go down flat (+/-3dB) to 40Hz and offers 200W pair.

Fostex PM0.4 : 4" : 60Hz : 80W.

Fostex PM0.5 : 5" : 50Hz : 140W.

To give you some idea human hearing is generally regarded as extending from 20Hz > 20kHz and a full range audio system will cover it all. Although many authorities don't think it's worth the trouble to go much below 40Hz in an ordinary domestic setting (or get a sub and acoustic treatment).

For comparison the popular M-Audio AV40 don't bother going below 85Hz. My desktops go down to 60Hz and I rarely feel the need for the sub or big floorstanders unless there are loads of people round or I'm in a mad up for it mood with some new tunes.

Ideally you need to listen to different sized drivers and decide for yourself 'how low you want to go'. Or how low your neighbours can tolerate.

As a suggestion. If you want something for your desktop only then the Fostex PM0.4 will be fine (and comes in cool colours this year). If you want to try to a fill a bigger space, must have loads (too much)  bass or enjoy regular loud sessions then the Resolv 6a look a better bet. 

You will not get a full on dance party going without at least an 8" driver which is outside your budget but you can always save up for a sub later.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:
It's all about power and weight. What happens in the lowest 2 Octaves.

Samson Resolv 5a have a 5" driver which claims to go down flat (+/-3dB) to 50Hz and offers 140W pair.

Samson Resolv 6a have a 6" driver which claims to go down flat (+/-3dB) to 40Hz and offers 200W pair.

Fostex PM0.4 : 4" : 60Hz : 80W.

Fostex PM0.5 : 5" : 50Hz : 140W.

To give you some idea human hearing is generally regarded as extending from 20Hz > 20kHz and a full range audio system will cover it all. Although many authorities don't think it's worth the trouble to go much below 40Hz in an ordinary domestic setting (or get a sub and acoustic treatment).

For comparison the popular M-Audio AV40 don't bother going below 85Hz. My desktops go down to 60Hz and I rarely feel the need for the sub or big floorstanders unless there are loads of people round or I'm in a mad up for it mood with some new tunes.

Ideally you need to listen to different sized drivers and decide for yourself 'how low you want to go'. Or how low your neighbours can tolerate.

As a suggestion. If you want something for your desktop only then the Fostex PM0.4 will be fine (and comes in cool colours this year). If you want to try to a fill a bigger space, must have loads (too much)  bass or enjoy regular loud sessions then the Resolv 6a look a better bet. 

You will not get a full on dance party going without at least an 8" driver which is outside your budget but you can always save up for a sub later.

The truth is, I have yet to find a speaker with good reproduction under 60Hz (I play bass). I don't have much experience with studio monitors, I confess, but I can't wrap my hear around the notion that a 5 or 6'' speaker has better response than a 15-incher. That's why I didn't really pay much attention to the manufacturer's specs - I'm much more interested in reproduction in the 100 to 200Hz range, as far as bass is concerned. Besides, I've played with a 2x8'' cab that was actually better than many 2x10'', so I'm not eager to make any decisions based on those numbers as well.

I'll be using the speakers in a medium sized room (something like 12-15sqm), and I definitely don't need them to get a party going. Besides, I'm deaf enough as it is. So, if 4'' are good enough for desktop use and 6'' can be used in a bigger room, do you find 5'' to be the sweet spot?

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #39 of 41
Mmmh. Dunno. I'll share my experience in case it helps you decide.

I have a large room 5mx7mx4m. Classic floor standing speakers. 32Hz : 240W. Perfect? 20 years ago maybe.

So I bought a pair of M-Audio AV40. 85Hz : 40W. Brilliant when I was sitting at my desk. Still needed the floorstanders though.

They broke down pretty quick unfortunately but I was so delighted with the concept I spent 4x as much on a replacement.

ADAM A3X  60Hz : 100W. Knocked out by the control and purity of tone. They are powerful enough to fill the room. Except? You know where the bass ought to be but you don't actually feel it. Which actually is cool with me most of the time.

I ended up with the 8" sub as well but actually it's a monstrous extravagance because it's the most expensive component in my system and I only really use it once or twice a month. Silly. But perfect again. Really flexible. Decent quality sound at 0200am. Either on my own or with a room full of people.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #40 of 41

Quote:
Mmmh. Dunno. I'll share my experience in case it helps you decide.

I have a large room 5mx7mx4m. Classic floor standing speakers. 32Hz : 240W. Perfect? 20 years ago maybe.

So I bought a pair of M-Audio AV40. 85Hz : 40W. Brilliant when I was sitting at my desk. Still needed the floorstanders though.

They broke down pretty quick unfortunately but I was so delighted with the concept I spent 4x as much on a replacement.

ADAM A3X  60Hz : 100W. Knocked out by the control and purity of tone. They are powerful enough to fill the room. Except? You know where the bass ought to be but you don't actually feel it. Which actually is cool with me most of the time.

I ended up with the 8" sub as well but actually it's a monstrous extravagance because it's the most expensive component in my system and I only really use it once or twice a month. Silly. But perfect again. Really flexible. Decent quality sound at 0200am. Either on my own or with a room full of people.

Thanks, that's enlightening.

Since the rooms will have roughly half the volume, It strikes me that any of those might be enough, as they put out about 70W each. A sub always sounds good, but it would be too expensive and too heavy to carry around, so I'll forgo it for the time being.

If there's nothing wrong with those (or similar) models in the price range, I suppose the thing to do now is to drop by a music shop and listen to the speakers. I think I've got an idea what to look for now. Cheers for the guidance.

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #41 of 41
If you go with a set of bookshelf/monitors you will need to consider adding a subwoofer also if you want full spectrum sound.  Without the sub you will be lacking much of the lower region.
If you can, listen to every set you are considering buying -I would also take some of my favorite material to test with.  Music I know very well and can judge on how well the system reproduces the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back