How much would the O2/ODAC or Modi/Magni improve my sound quality?
Dec 15, 2014 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blse59

100+ Head-Fier
My setup is laptop --> FiiO E10K --> HD 600.

If my E10K already drives my headphones to more than adequate volume levels would it be fair to say I don't need to purchase a more powerful amplifier? And the DAC chip inside the E10K is a TI PCM5102, which seems respectable and comparable to the chips used inside the other two DACs.

If I put all three setups in a brown bag, would I be able to tell a difference?

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 5
  Sorry, I don't have suggestions. I'm a newbie. But how do you like your current setup? I think I will be running the same setup within the next couple of weeks.

I think I need to spend a little more time with it. I've only spent two days with this setup. I've been going through my music library and so far I like what I hear.

Instruments can be heard individually and are clearly defined. Subtle things in the music become more apparent, especially in music with a lot of things going on at once like classical and choral. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard them for the first time. Bass is not bloated or boomy, and I love listening to stringed instruments like the cello and bass guitar. I like the granularity and high resolution.

It's quite addictive. As I was sitting here and browsing the boards I finished listening to an entire classical music cd!

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 5
  My setup is laptop --> FiiO E10K --> HD 600.
If my E10K already drives my headphones to more than adequate volume levels would it be fair to say I don't need to purchase a more powerful amplifier? And the DAC chip inside the E10K is a TI PCM5102, which seems respectable and comparable to the chips used inside the other two DACs.
If I put all three setups in a brown bag, would I be able to tell a difference?

You could try hooking a tube headphone amplifier up to the E10K's line-output jack.

Might also try getting some consulting on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-impressions-thread

Dec 15, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, I'm listening to music with this setup and the music is sublime. I really don't think I need a more powerful amplifier. I'm not quite sure how it would help. On the more powerful amp, I'd still adjust the levels down to my normal comfortable listening level so it should use the same amount of power to drive the headphones.

The volume on the E10K goes to 8 and I'm always somewhere between 1.5 and 4. It has has a low/high gain switch on the back that I haven't even switched to high yet so there's still even more amplification available...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back