How much time do you spend organizing your digital music?
May 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 25
I am obsessed with the activity. Maybe someday I'll finish... then I'll need to buy more music.

May 3, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 25
There is so much software out there that does it all for you. It will organize all your music content, and put the artist's name/song/album/albumart in the right fields so your metadata is accurate. Just do a google search. I have some software for the Mac. What OS are you using?

May 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 25
I'm using Windows XP. I have software that will do the organizing, but it doesn't necessarily get all of the information correct and sometimes I don't realize there is a problem until I try to use the file with a particular player or software.

I have ripped a lot of music and have everything nicely in artist/album/track order, but I didn't bother worrying about whether genres were consistent, date of album (what do you do for compilations and reissues?), multi-album sets (of which I have quite a few) which show up as different albums in cover-flow on iTunes if not tagged consistently, and now ratings of songs. A lot of this information may not be very important, but to get things clean and to be able to use Smart Playlists to its best advantage (which is extremely helpful for a portable that can't hold an entire music collection), it's needed and can be quite time consuming.

May 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much time do you spend organizing your digital music?

Not enough. I probably should, more.

May 4, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 25
All my LPs were lost in the floods of the '04 Hurricane Season, so all I have left are CDs.

Every now and then I get tired of them scattered all over my desk, so I stack them back up again.

Seriously; I've never ever had an electronic form of music storage, or even recorded anything on my Cell Phone.

The Wife and Kids do.....

What I don't know; I don't miss.

May 4, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #22 of 25
i try to tag all of my music with detailed ID3v2 tags, but it's not a reality for the amount of music i have.

i simply organize in folders: Artist\Album.... thats it, lol.

organized enough, searching is simple enough, and filenames are short enough!

May 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #23 of 25
^ Exactly. No need for "organizing". I have one folder called "Muziek" and in there you will find new folders of different artists and in there the different albums.

May 6, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #24 of 25
5-10 minutes on every album I rip.
Making sure the file name, metadata and album art are up to my standards. Then put it into my file structure. iTunes does the rest...

May 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #25 of 25
Like F107plus5, most of my music are CD albums. I store them away in alphabetical order.
Same goes for the LP's I still have.
Simple and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back