How much time do you spend on average per day listening to music?
Jan 15, 2011 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
Just as the title says...

one quick exception i can think of: at my job we have the radio going all day, i won't be counting this in my answer to the poll. i'm usually not paying attention to it and it's usually music im not a fan of. i'm only counting my own music in my response, and i'd hope all others do the same.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 19
Well, listening to music with undivided attention? Probably less than 20 minutes / day. However, i very commonly listen with music in background for hours a day like when on the internet or doing schoolwork. In fact, some of the best enjoyment i've ever gotten from music is while i'm doing some mundane task or chore like mowing or doing dishes and not actively comprehending every part of the song.

So i voted less than an hour / day. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 19
I wake up to music at 7-8 (a 30-min playlist usually, compiled the night before), then walk up to my computer, push play, do my morning stuff, grab one or two pairs of headphones and either the X7 or iPod, put headphones on, go to school, listen to music the entire day (including lectures, unless it's something that really requires my undivided attention; doesn't happen too often, arts uni high-five!) usually with just one phone on my ear as not to turn into a completely anti-social hermit, then after school I come home, turn on the music, and turn it off when I'm about to go to sleep somewhere around midnight usually. I sometimes sleep with music on also, but it's a great way to not get any actual sleep at all, so not too often on weekdays.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 19
WOW so you spend like 70 percent of your time listening to music? What headphones/IEMs do you have? If you are going to spend 50 years of your life listening to music you might as well get the best.

Quote:
I wake up to music at 7-8 (a 30-min playlist usually, compiled the night before), then walk up to my computer, push play, do my morning stuff, grap one or two pairs of headphones and either the X7 or iPod, put headphones on, go to school, listen to music the entire day (including lectures, unless it's something that really requires my undivided attention; doesn't happen too often, arts uni high-five!) usually with just one phone on my ear as not to turn into a completely anti-social hermit, then after school I come home, turn on the music, and turn it off when I'm about to go to sleep somewhere around midnight usually. I sometimes sleep with music on also, but it's a great way to not get any actual sleep at all, so not too often on weekdays.

Jan 16, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 19
Haha, I only have Senn HD 428's and SR80i's, and for the road PMX 90's and KSC-24's at home and for daily use. And a cheap stereo speaker system. There's some better stuff at the studio, though. I was planning on getting a pair of DT 990's or HD 650's later this year, and my FiiO E9 & E7 should arrive next week.

You're right though, I've never really thought of it that way. Guess I can go on an upgrade-frenzy now without feeling guilt!

Quote:
WOW so you spend like 70 percent of your time listening to music? What headphones/IEMs do you have? If you are going to spend 50 years of your life listening to music you might as well get the best.

Quote:

Jan 16, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 19
Can we include the hours and hours of time when a song gets stuck in our head. ;P  It happens to me all the time; sometimes I can recall the entire song beginning to end [Without sound equipment].  Worst part is the songs that you cannot remember it's title or the lyrics just the melody.  Even when I'm not listening to music I have songs stuck in my head.  Most recently it is "Why Can't We Be Friends?" by War.

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 19
usually 1-2 hours a day, sometimes up to 4, but that's occasionally

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 19
Usually I leave my computer on 24/7 and have foobar running all the time... and since my current job doesn't require me to leave my computer I think it's safe to say I listen to music at least 18+ hours a day with ER4-P's so no one can bug me even if they wanted to.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 19
18+ hours
blink.gif

I hope for your ears you listen at reasonable volume:)

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 19
I'm not even awake for 18 hours a day 

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
I'm not even awake for 18 hours a day 

X2.

I probably listen for an hour or two a day. Many days I don;t listen to anything, and some days I might get really into something and listen for three or four hours. I like to read Michael O'Brian or some intelligent conservative book or newspaper while I listen, if I am not playing brickmania on my rockboxed Sansa Fuze.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Voted 4-6 hours daily.

I often have music going softly in the background while i'm doing other things (reading, games, etc) since I find it hard to concentrate if it is too loud.

I spend some time (30 mins to 1 hour) most days just listening to music at a higher volume though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back