How much the 'burning in' is expected to increase the sound quality?
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 20
  Does it increase like up to 50% in certain headphones like Carbon Nanon tube headphones? or is it just a little bit?

None at all. Nada. Zero. Zilch

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 20
yeah I have seen that some people say that it is totally psychological. But I have heard that the headphones like JVC FXT90 that use Carbon Nanotube technology will benefit greatly from it and the difference is obvious in ones like that. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 20
  Does it increase like up to 50% in certain headphones like Carbon Nanon tube headphones? or is it just a little bit?

None...ZILCH.

With 40+ offerings I have tested I never heard burn in as relevant.  There were a few that I thought after 15-20 hours there was a change but I always attributed this to cable burn in.  LOL.....

Having said that I am a FIRM believer in ear/brain burn in more than anything.....your brain adjusting to the new sound signature......moreso than driver and cable.  Just because it takes most people's ears a good 30 min or so to "adjust" to a different (brighter/darker) sounding IEM. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 20
  yeah I have seen that some people say that it is totally psychological. But I have heard that the headphones like JVC FXT90 that use Carbon Nanotube technology will benefit greatly from it and the difference is obvious in ones like that. 

If it were really necessary don't you think they would do it at the factory?

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 20

yeah a good point. But there are too many topics and web sites talking about Burn in,  and there are even 'Burn in tracks'.

There are a lot of churches too and there ain't no god.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 20
Some manufacturers "officially" recommend burning in their headphones, usually for a period of no longer than 24 hours. Burn-in has been measured by various individuals as well. However, I have yet to see any scientific evidence to support it being audible, much less significant, despite countless anecdotal reports of a headphone's sound changing drastically after a certain duration of use. Ear pads can definitely break in, though. Most of this phenomenon is simply our brains becoming accustomed to new sounds. Here's a great example. I got one headphone that sounded very bassy and muddy. After listening to more music with it, it seemed less so. However, after getting another headphone with a much more clear, open and airy sound, the previous headphone sounded like pure mud again upon switching back.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 20
Physical burn in is real, but it is too little and unnoticeable in many cases. Except in certain headphones, in which the burn in is more noticeable than the rest. If you do not like a headphone out of the box, burn in won't make you like it. This is what I found out after some reading.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 20
  Physical burn in is real, but it is too little and unnoticeable in many cases. Except in certain headphones, in which the burn in is more noticeable than the rest. If you do not like a headphone out of the box, burn in won't make you like it. This is what I found out after some reading.

Yup. And every time I tried burning in a new headphone with pink noise overnight and such, it still sounded exactly the same, so if/when it happens, it's just a bonus.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 20

You just left the door wide open. What headphones are "certain headphones"??  "True believers" now think the headphones they own are "certain headphones". 

It's all just smoke and mirrors. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 20
As someone who purchased 2 pair of Sennheiser IE8s in 2011, I can attest that they didn't sound nearly the same when one had 250 hours and the other had just been opened. So brain burn could not have been a factor - they sounded very different. Bass was all over the place (I rhymed!) on the new one, while the older one was more controlled - the edge on the treble disappeared as well after many hours. Many respected speaker manufacturers recommend breaking in their speakers - now I have my doubts about balanced armatures - but dynamic drivers do loosen up. This change is difficult to measure, so there will always be a difference of opinion - I would probably be a disbeliever if I hadn't heard the change myself. 

Above is copy of invoice so no one thinks I am just blowing wind up their skirt.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 20
  As someone who purchased 2 pair of Sennheiser IE8s in 2011, I can attest that they didn't sound nearly the same when one had 250 hours and the other had just been opened. So brain burn could not have been a factor - they sounded very different. Bass was all over the place (I rhymed!) on the new one, while the older one was more controlled - the edge on the treble disappeared as well after many hours. Many respected speaker manufacturers recommend breaking in their speakers - now I have my doubts about balanced armatures - but dynamic drivers do loosen up. This change is difficult to measure, so there will always be a difference of opinion - I would probably be a disbeliever if I hadn't heard the change myself. 

Above is copy of invoice so no one thinks I am just blowing wind up their skirt.

No doubt you got those "certain IEs".  ( Rolling eyes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back