how much space...
Sep 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
...does an averaged sized album take up when ripped in lossless format?

I have up until now used 320kb/s mp3 on my portable players, and my Sony A828 doesn't do lossless. I am probably going to go for the Cowon S9 when it is released though, and presuming that it supports lossless I am trying to get an idea of how many albums I can get on there if it does in fact come in a 32gb size like people are hoping.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 12
would someone please also explain to me the 'levels' of lossless encoding, I think I remember seeing it mentioned in a different thread.

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 12
I've just had a quick look at some cd's on my system, and I'd go for approximately 350MB per album. It does depend upob the music, length of the CD etc, but a short CD came out at 250MB and a long one at 450MB, so I'd think you'll get about 3 per GB, so on 32 GB your looking at 90 albums or so.

The FLAC levels (the only ones I know about) are simply compression levels - 8 is max compression but max time to compress, FLAC 1 is min compression but fastest time to compress. Many people go for FLAC LEVEL 5 as this is the best ratio of compression/speed - but if your going to FLAC an entire collection, set it to 8, the extra time doesn't matter in the long run, and the space saving can add up after 100 CD's or so.

I ripped to FLAC 5, then batch compressed to 8 about 6 months later.

BT

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #5 of 12
So, seeing as people using FLAC are specifically wanting to lose zero amount of information from their cd, why are they using compression? I would have thought that everyone would just use level 1?

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are they using compression?

Compression is only lossy if you use an algorithm that is. Lossless compression is lossless.

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 12
does it not have to shed some data in order to compress further?

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compression is only lossy if you use an algorithm that is. Lossless compression is lossless.

X2. When played back, compressed lossless is identical to uncompressed lossless.

Regarding compressions levels for FLAC, just use 8. Total sizes per single CD album varies, usually at least 200/250MB to about 400MB.
smile.gif

Quote:

does it not have to shed some data in order to compress further?

Think about when you compress and uncompress files with WinRAR for emailing, etc.; No data is lost, hence lossless compression, as opposed to MP3 etc. which uses lossy compression.

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 12
what program do you recommend to do this?

does Foobar have the cddb track-naming facility by default?

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

what program do you recommend to do this?

does Foobar have the cddb track-naming facility by default?

For ripping, there is no better program than EAC.
EAC Guides
that covers pretty much every step, and as you use freedb for track listing, there is almost a 100% chance that the album info is there.

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 12
thanks a lot

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 12
About 300-350MB.
Of course depending on playing time, and compressibility (bitrate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back