How much sound should closed headphones leak?
Jul 16, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bgstern

Head-Fier
At my office, some people have moved to a cube space very close to mine, and I'm very concerned about sound leakage. Currently, I have an HD580 at work which for obvious reasons I listed to very quietly. I am in the market for a good pair of closed headphones that leak minimally.

I borrowed my daughter's MDR-V6 to see how well a closed headphone in general would do at work. I found I could listen to music up to about 80% of my preferred volume before I thought it became obnoxious to others.

As far as the MDR-V6's go, does anyone know if their leak is typical or if they're leakier than others? I was considering purchasing Denon D2000 or D5000's. Does anyone know how they perform leak-wise? (I've searched past posts here and found conflicting answers)

If the Denon's are leaky too, do you have any other good closed headphone recommendations in the same price-range? I know your first reaction will be IEMs but I have a pair of E4Cs and they make my ears hurt after about an hour with either the yellow or black foams.

Thank you much!

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 9
d2000 leaks almost as much as open headphones. the v6 isolates fairly well so you might want to look for some comfortable iems or maybe check out the new shure closed headphones.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 9
There is quite a difference in how much closed cans leak.

Of the closed cans I have had, my experience is that Denon D200 leak alot. AKG K271s not so much and Sennheiser HD25-1 not at all. Comfortvise it is the other way around, Denon D2000 being best and HD25 worst of the three. So maybe there is some kind of tradeoff there?

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 9
I always feel that it's all about where you have the volume control. sure my HD650's and grado's leak, but when used to listen to my ultrasone 750, my wife could hear them from upstairs!

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is quite good. Ultrasone Pro 900/750 is just slightly worse in term of isolation/leakage. Most ultrasone have the same ear cups so I would assume the HFI-780 and such would be about the same.

The Denons is open headphones marketed as closed in term of isolation/leakage. The AT900 I listened pretty much the same isolated quite poorly.

DX 1000 is a bit better though you would get a lot of harassment from your collegues when they see you wearing those teletubby headphones lol

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Are you sure it's a problem? I mean, most cube farms aren't exactly quiet, at least in my experience, computers, printers, phone calls, papers rustling, etc.

Have you asked your cube neighbor if he/she can hear your music?

Or maybe you work off hours when it's quieter, or the cube farm is very bucolic and quiet all the time.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure it's a problem? I mean, most cube farms aren't exactly quiet, at least in my experience, computers, printers, phone calls, papers rustling, etc.

Have you asked your cube neighbor if he/she can hear your music?

Or maybe you work off hours when it's quieter, or the cube farm is very bucolic and quiet all the time.

tenzip - Those are great questions, I like the way you think. There's just a couple people in this "cube farm", so it's pretty quiet. I've asked my neighbor if he can hear my music and he says he can although he doesn't mind. But I really don't think I need to inflict my music upon other people
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like and appreciate everyone's suggestions. I hadn't considered the Shures or Ultrasones before - I will certainly look into those. Sure wish I could hear these in person instead of relying on reviews and your suggestions! But hey, I almost bought the Denons and I guess that wouldn't have turned out so well. So all your suggestions are much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back