How much sound do the DT880 and DT990's leak?
Aug 10, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scottyyy

500+ Head-Fier
I've tried searching but there's just too many results to go through to find a good answer for little qustions like this.

So, how much sound do they leak? My open AD700's leak so much that they dirturb my brother (who is a little nuisance, I can't even listen to them while he's around). I'm thinking of buying one of these two for my next headphones. From what I've read the DT880's are more neutral, detailed and a little light on bass while the DT990's resemble that of the DT770 when it comes to bass. I haven't heard much more about the DT990's though apart from the bass.

Oh and that reminds me. How come the Pro version of the DT990 is so cheap? Are the 2005 version much better than the Pro version?

Thanks

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 10
2005 version is much better/newer i believe
less bass dt880 more dt 990
the dt990s are open cans when i wondered how open cans sounded and then i heard them they made think ...
the best way to describe open vs closed is when the closed headphones are on you dont hear much of anything when you take the closed headphones off so that sound is leaking out of those headphones now what you hearing is what open headphones sound like. whether it is to much noise or perfect is entirely up to you. I can compare the ad700 to my dt990 i can only say that the dt990 o5 version is AWSOME...
why dont you use a closed can? what are you using the headphones for if you give more info people can help you better. the onlything we know now is youre wanting little to no noise yet looking at open headphones.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2005 version is much better/newer i believe
less bass dt880 more dt 990
the dt990s are open cans when i wondered how open cans sounded and then i heard them they made think ...
the best way to describe open vs closed is when the closed headphones are on you dont hear much of anything when you take the closed headphones off so that sound is leaking out of those headphones now what you hearing is what open headphones sound like. whether it is to much noise or perfect is entirely up to you. I can compare the ad700 to my dt990 i can only say that the dt990 o5 version is AWSOME...
why dont you use a closed can? what are you using the headphones for if you give more info people can help you better. the onlything we know now is youre wanting little to no noise yet looking at open headphones.

Yeah I know I'm looking at open headphones, but I'd really like to try either the DT880's or DT990's regardless of whether they're open or closed. I've heard that different open headphones leak different amounts, I just thought that the Beyer's might leak less than the AT's. Either way, I'll probably be getting one of the Beyer's, I was just hoping they might leak a little less; if they don't then that's fine. My brother will just have to put up with my music.
biggrin.gif

The only other headphones I really want to try (that's in my price range) is the Denon D2000's. They're closed, but out of all the reviews I've read, most people prefer the Beyer's. I've always wanted to try some Beyer's too, ever since I was considering DT770's but went with AD700's.

Also -- do you think a Porta Corda MkIII will be enough to drive DT880's or DT990's?

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 10
DT880s will leak a fair amount of sound when listening at high volumes - not as much as the AD700s, but they will be definitely audible to somebody in the same room as the user. Since DT880s are described as "semi-open", and the DT990s as "open", the latter will probably leak at least as much.

From personal experience, the DT880s have slightly stronger bass than the AD900s (which are supposed to have more bass than the AD700s). With decent amplification, the Beyers should provide adequate bass for most people - a Porta Corda Mk3 will do fine.

The DT990 Pros which are found on several UK retailers' sites (usually for around £90) are the 2003 model. The '05 model will probably cost you at least £165 (try Meier-Audio or thomann.de). A comparison can be found here.

Lastly, there's been a lot of discussion about the Denon D2000s on Head-Fi in recent months, and it sounds like a good choice considering your requirements. Given the current dollar-sterling exchange rate, it might be worth getting a pair, even after customs and VAT are accounted for.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880s will leak a fair amount of sound when listening at high volumes - not as much as the AD700s, but they will be definitely audible to somebody in the same room as the user. Since DT880s are described as "semi-open", and the DT990s as "open", the latter will probably leak at least as much.

From personal experience, the DT880s have slightly stronger bass than the AD900s (which are supposed to have more bass than the AD700s). With decent amplification, the Beyers should provide adequate bass for most people - a Porta Corda Mk3 will do fine.

The DT990 Pros which are found on several UK retailers' sites (usually for around £90) are the 2003 model. The '05 model will probably cost you at least £165 (try Meier-Audio or thomann.de). A comparison can be found here.

Lastly, there's been a lot of discussion about the Denon D2000s on Head-Fi in recent months, and it sounds like a good choice considering your requirements. Given the current dollar-sterling exchange rate, it might be worth getting a pair, even after customs and VAT are accounted for.

Thanks for the reply.

The link was especially helpful. I might go with the Denon's yeah, they're cheaper than the Beyers anyway which is good for me heh.

I'd really like to try some DT990's though. They sound like really fun headphones. Too bad they're really expensive.
frown.gif
Well the Pro versions are, but I'd like to try the 2005 version.

Thanks again.

I've just checked thomann.de and they have some decent prices on the DT880's. £150 is pretty good I guess, I could probably go for those over the D2000 if they're worth it.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 10
really the dennons or the beyers are all great headphones. i have both you cant go wrong with any of these choices they will all be good.the only thing is will you be content
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 10
I have not heard the dt880s' but my dt990s are almost perfect for me i game/music/movies. they have huge sound stage have good treble good bass. sound crystal clear.

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nburge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the dt880s' but my dt990s are almost perfect for me i game/music/movies. they have huge sound stage have good treble good bass. sound crystal clear.

Damn you making me choose the more expensive headphones!
tongue.gif

Thanks mate.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 10
I agree and besides it isolates a good amount of ambiental sound, even when playing at normal to low levels, Which is very good for an open headphone. And it sound more open and with a bigger soundstage/headstage than the D2000.
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall343 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 880 leak more than the 990

the 990 do have the special flap that point downward and reduce noise leak.

then 880 do not have those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back