How much Schiit can I handle?
Aug 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphonia92

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I apologize for what I'm sure is a frequently asked question but my endless searching hasn't turned up anything relating to my case specifically. My audiophile journey began about a year ago with the purchase of a pair of ATH M50's. It has since grown to also include a pair of Grado 325is's and also a pair of GR07 BE's. I'm now looking for an amp DAC combo for my Grado's and M50's (probably not as often.) I have been doing a ton of reading and I think I've really settled on Schiit as far as where I will purchase from (their aesthetic is killer!), it's just a question of what I will be purchasing. I will be running all of this through a 2010 MBP with 320 kb and FLAC files only. The question is, will I be happy with a Magni/Modi or will an Asgard/Bifrost prove to be a better combination? The Magni/Modi I would be able to buy straight away but the Asgard/Bifrost I would need to wait on until my birthday in November when financial assistance can be provided. Basically, given my setup and what I'll be driving, will the Asgard/Bifrost be an appreciable difference when compared to the Magni/Modi or will the difference be largely lost on my ears? I don't intend on upgrading headphones anytime soon either. 

Second question, which you can ignore if you've essentially answered it as part of the first question... Is the MBP DAC good enough to a point where adding something like a Modi or a Bifrost wouldn't yield me significant results? Is it good enough to allow me to purchase just an amp or would a DAC make an appreciable difference in my case? Also, is it possible that a combination of say, a Modi and an Asgard would sound the same or similar to a bifrost/asgard?

Thanks for the help!

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I would say to buy the cheaper Magni/Modi and upgrade from your ATH-M50s.
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Good price on used ones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/677720/audio-technica-a900x-mint-condition-with-box-free-shipping-us-only

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the help. Really the purpose of the amp and DAC I'm considering would be to amp the Grado's as I don't foresee myself using the M50's at the same capacity I used to. Would this amp DAC combo do justice for the Grado's or are there better options out there?

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Really the purpose of the amp and DAC I'm considering would be to amp the Grado's as I don't foresee myself using the M50's at the same capacity I used to. Would this amp DAC combo do justice for the Grado's or are there better options out there?

Your Grado 325is are 32-Ohm and could be driven by a $27 Fiio E6.
So a $100 Magni is way more then enough power.

Start out with the Magni/modi for now, should easily be happy with it, maybe in a year or two upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back