How much RAM does Nero take for you?
Mar 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow. Not that it matters too much, but how much memory does Nero burning software take? It always takes up more than 270 MB of RAM for me. It's hogs resources like crazy. I can see why people like it; the features are all there.

But wow. Why the bloat?
eek.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 10
I got it the OEM version with a DVD player. Then purchased the Ultra version as an upgrade. The upgrade version has never ran as advertised. It never operates at a level above the original OEM version.

You would not believe the emails back and forth between us attempting to get it working without any success.

So I can not recommend Nero at all.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Nero 6 Ultra isn't bad. I think Nero 7 is the one that's more of a resource hog.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Nero 6 Ultra isn't bad. I think Nero 7 is the one that's more of a resource hog.

Yeah, I'm using Nero 7 Ultra Edition. The version 7 burning core (Nero.exe) makes my comp slow down to a crawl.
tongue.gif
Grrrr. I might resort to Burnatonce in the long run.

.... or upgrade from 1 GB of RAM to something even larger.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Weird. I just ran Nero 6 and it took 12MB.

Your system seems off.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Still have Nero 6 here, but as far as I'm aware, the app itself is not that memory hungry but it does assign quite a bit for caching while burning. (You can turn this feature off, too, AFAIR.) I can't claim it would noticeably slow down my machine even then though, and with my somewhat antiquated rig I'd certainly notice that very quickly.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Nero 6 with 12MB, yea. Then again, I prefer using alcohol 120%, and I don't burn that much anyways.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 10
Hmmm. Grrr. I'm not in PIO mode. Weird.

My searches on a number of forums say that Nero 7 is rather buggy but I couldn't find details on what the bugs are specifically. I wonder if this is one of those bugs.

I have an old version of Roxio that came with one of my burners. That doesn't take much memory. Neither does Burnatonce and CDBurnerXP. But they don't have the features that Nero. Boo hoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back