How much potential does a stock X-Cans v2 have once modded?
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VooX

New Head-Fier
To be honest, I haven't been shopping for a full-sized HP amp for just over a decade. That was when I was 19 and first decided to get some proper gear. In retrospect, I did a damn good job choosing, as to this day my choice of HP and amp has made me very happy after many years and training my ears to be an audio engineer.

I chose the Sennheiser HD600 and the Musical Fidelity x-Cans v2 tube amp (both brand new products, IIRC) and never looked back.

Until today when I looked at the thread about the x-Cans v8. That got me digging into old x-Cans threads, and lead to some questions I have for the forums.

What are the physical differences (and subjective sonic differences) among the different versions of the x-Cans? This info is scattered and tough to compare.

Also, what sort of mods are recommended for a stock x-Cans v2, and what results can be expected from the mods? Once mods are done, how noticeable are the mods to the SQ?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 4
I have an X-Can V2 heavily modded using the PinkFloyd Mods and his Little Pinkie PSU. If you buy the parts from him (send me a PM for the link) you will spend about $125 USD including a pair of Russian 6H23-EB and better a better Alps pot and a better Jalco 1/4" plug.

The improvements are not subtle, bass/soundstage/punch/clarity/detail all improve significantly.

The last improvement would be one of his Little Pinkie PSU. BTW, currently there is a modded unit for sale here. You may be better off buying it and selling your unit, this because you will save money. Good luck.

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 4
I second the Pink Floyd mods......a great improvement over stock.

Peete.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks. Reading about his mods prior to posting makes me feel like I have a bad tube as I have one channel bleeding sound when the volume is turned all the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back