How much of an upgrade is the HD600 over the 280 pro?
Sep 6, 2002 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gus B

Head-Fier
I'm leaning toward springing for the combo deal from Meier for HD600 with the Corda HA-1 for $525, although cruising this site it looks like opinions on the 600 are a bit mixed. I currently use the 280 pro, or on occasion, Koss portapros (when I don't need isolation & am in the mood for more bass), usually with an AirHead amp. I listen primarily to classical, classic rock & blues. I'm happy with my setup, but wondering if the $525 will take me to new levels of sonic happiness. Will I notice the difference? Is it worth the $? I know some of you (e.g. Eagledriver) have both the 280 & the 600 & I bet lots of folks purchased the combo deal with the Corda amp from Meier. Any advice or alternative suggestions would be much appreciated before the dough flies out of my wallet. BTW, appearance is not a factor for me--just sound & comfort.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 13
Gus B,

I have the 280s and 580s. As you may know, the 580s are in many ways like the 600s.

You say that your concerns are comfort and sound quality. As for comfort, the 600s will be a big step up. While I found the 280 reasonably comfortable, the soft earpads on the 580/600 are much more comfortable. Also, if you had any issues with the top band of the 280s, as I know some have, it will certainly be eliminated by the upgrade. The only thing I can say comfortwise about the 580 that is negative, is that they are a bit tight at first. They loosen up over time. Of course, they could be a touch lighter, but I'm not complaining. In short, comfort-wise the 580/600s are a big step up.

Soundwise, I also think you'll notice a big difference. First, you'd be getting a good amp. But that aside, the soundstage of the 580s is much better than the 280s. I also find the low end much improved. I don't really like bass that much, but even I thought the 280s left a bit to be desired in the low end. Their bass extension is adequate, but I felt that they made drums sound a bit thin. I personally think the bass of the 580 is fantastic, though I've heard minor complaints from others.

On the whole, I think you will notice many differences.

Sep 6, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 13
to answer the question with one word: huge.

to answer the question with more than one word:
the hd600 is closed, the hd280 pro is closed. this alone will make a big difference in the sound, but keep in mind that the hd600 is sennheiser's top-of-the-line headphone. the sound difference will be huge and if you spring for the corda ha-1 along with it (and later, kurtw's corda blue upgrades
very_evil_smiley.gif
) it should sound damn nice. i'd say go for it!

Sep 6, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 13
the 600's rock, to make many words few words. i have a set now that is broken and it still sounds amazing, dropped at the dealer, getting a new pair in just a few seconds...

the 580's were the top of the line for this series, then the limited edition 580 Jubilee (after the klipsch jubilee? hehe) came out, a few months later they came out with the new and improved, again, 580 in the form of the HD600.

With a good amp there is so much power that the headphones bounce on your head, probably why they made them such a snug fit.

they get loud, with a 250mW amp I get sound that is so loud, yet still clear, that i get dizzy nearly!

i would like a little more bass, but i am an SVS man, so you can understand what kind of bass i like haha. i run a subwoofer with the headphones, with the open design you are able to get a great effect.

with Sony & Telarcs Olympic Fanfare by Williams, you can actually tell in your mind where each instrument is placed in the orchestra, i was afraid that these headphones would not allow for such imaging as well as the Grado's do it. I was happily surprised.

I got mine for $175! $250 at The Great Indoors, Tweeter beat the price even though they lost money, $225, then $50 mail in rebate from Sennheiser (no longer good). You can NOT do better than $175 at this quality. I guarentee, especially with new, never been used headphones from a real dealer WITH a 5 year warranty, go to Sennheiserusa.com to extend teh warranty, it is free, from 2 to 5 years.

Sep 6, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
to answer the question with one word: huge.

to answer the question with more than one word:
the hd600 is closed, the hd280 pro is closed. this alone will make a big difference in the sound, but keep in mind that the hd600 is sennheiser's top-of-the-line headphone. the sound difference will be huge and if you spring for the corda ha-1 along with it (and later, kurtw's corda blue upgrades
very_evil_smiley.gif
) it should sound damn nice. i'd say go for it!

The HD600 is in fact open, but i'm sure that is what Grinch meant to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Having not heard the HD280s I can't say this for certain, but with it in mind that the HD280 and V6 are often compared against each other, the HD600s will sound very lacklustre by comparison, almost lazy... and dark... thats just my $0.02 though, and its well known around here that as hard as I try, I really can't get to liking the Sennheiser sound

Sep 7, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks everyone for the input.

Quote:

the HD600s will sound very lacklustre by comparison, almost lazy... and dark...

Wow Duncan--you really don't like the 600s--that gives me pause, since you are not only a Headphoneus Supremus (isn't that the highest rank around here?), but a moderator to boot. Now I am, sadly, at a loss what do you, since I am poised to go to the next level & was ready to take the Meier deal. Any alternative suggestions? Is Duncan's view a tiny minority, or do lots of folks simply not like the 600s?

Sep 7, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 13
Gus B...

I am the first to admit that i'm in the minority here with my dislike for high end Sennheiser...

BUT, if the HD280s are as powerful as everyone suggests (in the same league as the V6 if not more powerful) and if you're used to the HD280 sound, then in direct comparison you will find that the HD600s (or... in my case the HD580s which are 95% of the HD600) will sound a lot less energetic...

If you add into the equation the differences between the Meier amp and the Airhead amp that you have... then that is an unknown equation to me, the MA could have a lot more power, and energy than the AH.. I really do not know..

The HD580/600s are without doubt more musical than the likes of the V6, and the HD280... will take you further into the music, so my advice to you would be to forget about the HD280s once you've placed the order with Meier Audio, give your ears a week / ten days to forget the HD280 sound, plug in the HD600s and enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

(of course after a week or so of HD600 heaven, revert back to the HD280s... and you'll find them too bright, and too bassy ~ at that point, you'll understand where my negative thoughts are coming from
cool.gif
)

Another, more simplistic view on this... in MY opinion... the lower end Senns (HD280s) would be like a Toyota Supra... bags of energy... pushes you back in your seat when you touch the gas pedal, whereas the HD600s would be like a Bentley, luxurious, graceful... It just depends if you like to feel the G-Force, or if you like to be absorbed in quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 13
I have both, and a META42 amp.

IMO, there is a major improvement between the two, in terms of soundstage, bass, clarity, etc. But they also share a similar sound that's a bit laid-back and maybe not as musical as other headphones.

Sep 7, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Gus B
Thanks everyone for the input.

Wow Duncan--you really don't like the 600s--

i dont like the high end senns much either, Duncan - we are a minority

thats the way i felt when i heard the 600... and i think that the bass of the 280 goes deeper, if my memory is correct... but of course i could just be thinking of when Todd's son turned on the bass boost on the pana 570 when it was hooked up to the cosmic... also i think that the 600 is too muddy and boomy. the bass isnt very tight. the ety er4 sounds much better in my opinon. but yes, the 600 is much more musical than the 280. but also is the er4
wink.gif
, i think you should go er4 if you like the 280. you might not like the sound of the 600.we

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
i think that the bass of the 280 goes deeper, if my memory is correct... but of course i could just be thinking of when Todd's son turned on the bass boost on the pana 570 when it was hooked up to the cosmic...

That could be it
wink.gif
I just listed to both, and the HD 600 goes way deeper
wink.gif

Quote:

also i think that the 600 is too muddy and boomy. the bass isnt very tight.

Driven out of a portable or a lower-end amp, yep.

I own both the HD 280 and the HD 600. I like the HD 280 for what it is -- a good, closed, inexpensive (<$100) headphone. It does a lot of things pretty good, but nothing great (except isolate, which it does very well). At it's price point, it's only real competition (closed, that is) is the MDR-V6/7506. However, both driven from a good source and amp, there is nothing the HD 280 does better, or even as well as, the HD 600, IMO.

Sep 7, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
[size=xx-small]...i think that the 600 is too muddy and boomy. the bass isnt very tight. [/size]

Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
[size=xx-small]Driven out of a portable or a lower-end amp, yep. [/size]

Put both of those sentences together, then I strongly agree. Even a Total Airhead would be a big improvement (sound quality-wise) over those craptacular headphone amps used in portables and most home components. I could indeed hear semi-listenable sound from my HD600's connected to my Sony PCDPs (which have a 5mW output @ 16 ohms), though I could clearly detect the lack of tightness in the bass, and also the rolled-off highs.

Sep 7, 2002 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 13
That being said Eagledriver, I still like to hear whether you, a 280 pro owner who just got the 600, think the upgrade is worth it, given that if I get the 600 I'll also get the Corda HA-1--it seems like the opinions are quite diverse & I really have no way to try before I buy, so I have to make a best guess based on you & other informed dudes on this forum.
wink.gif
MacDef's comments & some of the others above (thx for the input) seem to imply that it's worth the $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back