How much of a difference would a DAP make compared to a Phone (iphone / Note 5)
Nov 28, 2015 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Yasanaki

New Head-Fier
Hi,

It seems like there are probably different opinions but what makes a DAP better than phone.
If there are interference, would selecting airplane mode on phone reduce that?

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 6
As far as i know, airplane mode just disables the comm radios on your phone to comply with aircraft RF/EMI requirements. It might help a little with noise but its probably marginal, situational, and hard to test. Also it would depend greatly on the electrical design of the phone. 

What you are getting with a DAP over a cellphone is an improved DAC section (the DAC chip itself might not be that much nicer, but the supporting circuitry almost definitely will be), better/more linear amplification, and lower impedance and higher current output stage as well as more power. These things all help to drive the headphone properly. Not all headphones need lots of power, but all headphones are going to benefit from a lower output impedance, especially IEMs for portable since they are usually low impedance compared to other headphones.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for the information. Extremely helpful.
What about using the phone with a dac (eg, chord mojo) against a dap of the same price (phone is something we already have hence cost is sunk)

I read that the dac might be a better combination than a dap stand alone of the same price

Just to give a context
Phone : galaxy note 5
Iem: shure 846

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 6
I agree with you, I think that is the better route; in fact i am in the market for a mojo is well! I do a fair bit of streaming music from spotify, so i lean away from DAPs for that reason. I think DAPs have to make more compromises than a portable amp/DAC does

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 6
The Mojo has more power and better performance specs, and has superior analog and digital design. I have not listened to either, but i very much expect the mojo to sound better than the oppo. Portable for me is keeping it in my backpack to use at work and for travel, so i am not worried about the size. Hugo would be fine for size as well, but it beats my current desktop rig so id have to buy a new stack for home  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back