How much of a difference will better cables make coming out of a PC's soundcard?
May 8, 2003 at 2:51 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

has anyone here A/B compared various mini-to-mini cables?

I have used the following:

- Plastics One
- Kimber
- Radio Shack Gold
- DIY using Homegrown Super Silver Braid

Of the 4, the Kimber sounded the best. It has amazing top and bottom extension and really allows your PCDP/amp combo to shine. The downside is that it is NOT very flexible at all. If you are going to use it in a bag of any kind, the cable will dictate how you carry your rig, rather than being able to route the cable to accomodate your gear placement. Additionally, the Kimber I had used straight Switchcraft plugs, which are built great but are huge. So again, the cable will dictate placement. If you are not using the rig in a bag/case and use it on a desktop, it should be fine.

The Homegrown Audio cable is the closest sonically that I heard to the Kimber, very close to equal, but has the benefit of flexibility. Plus, you can build with the 90 degree plugs that allow you to route the cable as you see fit. This is what I use in my travel rig.

The Plastics One cable is adequate sonically, a bit compressed on the top and bottom, but flexes like nobody's business.

The Radion Shack cable is almost as adequate as the Plastics One, less expensive, easy to get, but only comes in 6 foot lengths as far as I know.

May 9, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #18 of 19
ARGH! You mean that's you that's bidding against me for the pivot rca?! Curses! Alright I'll give it to you for your $60, I'm not bidding on it anymore...

Hahah we should have arranged on here beforehand before starting the bidding war...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back