How much of a benifit from Xonar STX compared to lower end Xonar models?
May 5, 2010 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
I can buy the STX for my Audio-Technica ATH-A700, but if I don't need to id rather not. My main use is lossless music, but sometimes play a game. I watch a lot of TV/Movies as well.

So is the STX really worth it over the D1/DS/DX/D2X? I like the Xonar because it seems to have decent Linux support.

If the difference between the STX is drastically greater than the lower end model's il be sure to get it. But if the difference is slight, id rather not spend the extra money for the slightest increase.

May 5, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 13
What about an external DAC/Amp? Less EMI possibilities, better bang for your buck, and compatibility with any OS at any time. (Unless you get a DAC with proprietary drivers.)

If you're not using the surround sound or sound inputs, why bother with a sound card?

May 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 13
A budget DAC would have pretty bad bang for buck, as money has to be put into a power supply and casing. Head-fi readily promotes 'giant killers' that cost much less and can beat higher priced models.

May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trysaeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A budget DAC would have pretty bad bang for buck, as money has to be put into a power supply and casing. Head-fi readily promotes 'giant killers' that cost much less and can beat higher priced models.

What?

May 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Well I have thought about it, but don't really know what to get.  I have been recommended the Zero Dac many times, but am a bit concerned with first buying over eBay, second future support and third quality of the unit itself.  id hate to buy one from eBay, pay the $170, get it and it doesn't't work, then having to pay another $45 to send the broken unit back.  I have bad luck with things like that. Also what happens if it croaks in 2+ months, do I need to send it back to China every time?  Overall it just seems as its a really big risk to take. 

I also would have to use my on-board RealTek HD optical out to power it, and I don't really know how well that will sound in comparison to a better soundcard. 

I am open, but do want to protect myself from being screwed.  I have looked at the seller section here, but there arent many Zero's availible.

May 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Well I have thought about it, but don't really know what to get.  I have been recommended the Zero Dac many times, but am a bit concerned with first buying over eBay, second future support and third quality of the unit itself.  id hate to buy one from eBay, pay the $170, get it and it doesn't't work, then having to pay another $45 to send the broken unit back.  I have bad luck with things like that. Also what happens if it croaks in 2+ months, do I need to send it back to China every time?  Overall it just seems as its a really big risk to take. 

I also would have to use my on-board RealTek HD optical out to power it, and I don't really know how well that will sound in comparison to a better soundcard. 

I am open, but do want to protect myself from being screwed.  I have looked at the seller section here, but there arent many Zero's availible.

The Zero is a great option (and really, as far as I've heard, there aren't many quality control issues regarding the newer Zero (2009), available on eBay).  But, besides that, there are other options.  Such as the Gamma1, a DIY option, or many other USB DAC/Amps around $100-200.  Is there a specific price range you're looking at?  That might help.

May 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

The Zero is a great option (and really, as far as I've heard, there aren't many quality control issues regarding the newer Zero (2009), available on eBay).  But, besides that, there are other options.  Such as the Gamma1, a DIY option, or many other USB DAC/Amps around $100-200.  Is there a specific price range you're looking at?  That might help.

Well under $200, the same price as the STX.  But as I said before, the cheaper the better. 

May 6, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 13
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/pre/Sparrow/Sparrow.htm

This is one to keep your eye on. Just released, and the basic version is really quite nice and in your price range. With USB: $150 Without USB: $125. I THINK you can also tack on one of his HDAMs for an improvement at any later date.

May 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 13
I think you will have a hard time finding something that gets you more for your money than the STX does. It has a great DAC, a decent amp and bunch of other features that an external DAC/AMP setup does not give you.

Don't believe people that say that it will pick up lots of EMI interference because it sits in your computer. They obviously have never used one.

May 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
if I did decide to get the Audio-GD, which is better for movie's, TV and Rock music the Fun basic of the Sparrow?

I'd think there isn't too much difference.  As far as I can tell, they're the same thing, except that the FUN has a diamond output buffer.  Personally, I'd grab the Sparrow and an HDAM Moon or Earth.  (Email him first to ask if it'll work in it, and if he can install it for you.)  Ends up cheaper, and probably a little better sounding due to the HDAM.

May 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
An answer to the original question would also be appreciated, if you guys know.   Thanks all.

The STX is... notably better than the DX, but might not be the massive improvement you'd be expecting.  (Only two I've heard)  Once again, personally and on a budget, I wouldn't feel bad getting one of the lower models, and finding a good OPAMP to replace the stock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back