how much mW headphone output should i aim for?
Apr 5, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Wrong question. The one you want to ask is what do I need to drive headphone x? The issue is what is more important in driving your transducer. low efficiency require more watts, High efficiency less watts. Low impedance more current, high impedance less current. Different designs focus on different aspects of power delivery.

Apr 6, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 7
If you haven't decided on the headphones then a JDS Atom or Magni Heresy are safe choices since there's not much they can't power. I've had all the 600ohn Beyerdynamics and like the 250ohm versions a lot better, especially the DT880 black edition which is fun with more bass than stock.

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 7
As you are posting on the portable source gear, I'm assuming you are looking for a DAP?
Most of the current/newer DAPs (e.g. Shanling M9, iBasso DX300, Cayin N8ii) with min 700mw @ 32ohm are more than enough to drive even a 300ohm HD800S/650, ZMF etc.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 7
As you are posting on the portable source gear, I'm assuming you are looking for a DAP?
Most of the current/newer DAPs (e.g. Shanling M9, iBasso DX300, Cayin N8ii) with min 700mw @ 32ohm are more than enough to drive even a 300ohm HD800S/650, ZMF etc.
If you read the OPs other posts, those daps are several quantum higher than his price point….
He’s using a 30 dollar mp3 player. You can see why i treated it as a theoretical question.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 7
If you read the OPs other posts, those daps are several quantum higher than his price point….
He’s using a 30 dollar mp3 player. You can see why i treated it as a theoretical question.

He didn't mention in this thread, so I wouldn't know his budget 🤷‍♂️
Anyway the cheapest option for him is to get a portable Chinese amp from Aliexpress if he wants portable..

Apr 7, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Wrong question. The one you want to ask is what do I need to drive headphone x? The issue is what is more important in driving your transducer. low efficiency require more watts, High efficiency less watts. Low impedance more current, high impedance less current. Different designs focus on different aspects of power delivery.
I completely agree with this.

Even with desktop amplifier which can easily pumping out 8000mW-8000mW into 32 ohms load, you still have to greatly be considerate about what phones you are hooking it upto. They behave very different from Low impedance VS Hi impedance, and even when given the options VIA some kinda switches, amplifier is always built dedicated toward one more than another.

So, the question would be....what is your favorite headphones, and then go from there. When your budget is unlimited, you will see your Arsenal being built up like a supreme country before you know it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back