How much maintenance is required for tube amps?
Apr 23, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Calanctus

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying an amp for my phones (currently Beyerdynamic DT770s), and from what I've read, tube amps can provide the kind of sound I like (smooth, not too bright on treble, strong/tight bass). But I understand that the tubes need replacing every now and then, even if you don't 'roll' them (and I really prefer low maintenance audio components, so probably won't 'roll').

How often do they need to be replaced? Any other maintenance needed for the amp? If it helps, I'm considering the Antique Sound MG Head, Earmax Pro or MicroZOTL amps.

I did a search on this forum but did not turn up too much specific info. Thanks in advance for any you can provide!

Apr 23, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 23
I asked the very same question before buying my ASL MG Head OTL.... I was told: " a tube could last a week, or a lifetime "

I'm inclined to think the life of a tube would be somewhere in the middle. (think of a tube as you would a lightbulb)

I've had the Head nearly four months with no trouble whatsoever
(no bad tubes) I bought two used Tung Sol 5157's from E-bay that work and sound great....I have no idea how much use they got but I think quite a bit

If you do decide on the MG Head (which is a great choice), do yourself a favor and roll one set of tubes into it, even though the amp sounds great right out of the box, it's capable of sooo much more! and this can be an inexpensive upgrade

it can also be addicting:

nos 5751 Siemens Germany triple mica '60s
2 nos Tung Sol 5751
nos RCA Command Series 5751 black plate '50s
nos Mullard CV-4004/12AX7a box plate

6BQ5/EL84 JJ Tesla pair
6BQ5/EL84 EI Yugoslav pair

enjoy!!!
tongue.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 23
Not sure about the other amps you mentioned, but Berning says that tubes should last 10-20 years in the ZOTL.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 23
A badly designed amp is going to need maintenance, no matter whether tube or solid state. The "hum" troubles discussed in another thread could just as easily have been a problem with a solid state amp.

So you have to change the tubes once in a while, about as often as you have to change lightbulbs in a lamp.

You _can_ go further, and roll tubes, but that's a fun thing to do, and not at all required.

Apr 23, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 23
I've been looking into tube amp maint. and found a product by Caig, on audio advisor's web site. It's a cleaner for your RCA jacks and tube sockets. I personally haven't tried it, but I have had a couple of people recommend it to me.

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 23
Let me be the first to say Welcome to head-fi.

Tube amps in general do require a little more maintenence than do solid-state amps but the MG head and head amps in particular is an exception.these amps rarely stress a tube to the point of failure and I doubt you would have to replace the tubes before you decided to either roll them out or upgrade the amp.If the tube lasts the first 10 minutes it will most likely last much longer.most tube failures I have seen we very gradual and were usually manifested in a hum or buzzing noise in one channnel or an inability to bias the amp.If this is your first tube amp you are in for a treat.the Mghead actually sounds "tubey" unlike some other amps that are tube staged.

Apr 23, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by zspradlin
I've been looking into tube amp maint. and found a product by Caig, on audio advisor's web site. It's a cleaner for your RCA jacks and tube sockets. I personally haven't tried it, but I have had a couple of people recommend it to me.

Sounds interesting, do you have a link to some info or a vendor?

Apr 23, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 23
OK. the product mentioned above is progold. It dexoidizes and puts a little bit of gold on your connections. It is highly recommended by me because it does make a noticable difference.

Tubes last between 1-10 years depending on the type, make, and what it is used in.

Apr 24, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 23
Thanks all for the responses (and thanks to Tuberoller for the welcome). Where do you get the replacement tubes--from the amp manufacturer, specialty electronics store (or site)....?

The more I browse this site, the more I hear good things about the Earmax (even in the Sugden thread posted by Kelly), so I'm leaning in that direction now (despite the extra $$$ over the MGHead).

Apr 24, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
The more I browse this site, the more I hear good things about the Earmax (even in the Sugden thread posted by Kelly), so I'm leaning in that direction now (despite the extra $$$ over the MGHead).

Fantastic little tube amp that really has that tube sound . Just make sure you get the EarMax Pro.....not the EarMax!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 23
Hello Calanctus!
To me, the EMP works great with the Beyer 770 Pro. I like this combination a lot. It's musically very involving and just as you like it: "smooth, not too bright on treble, strong/tight bass".

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 23
I didn't know that Caig has a sample pack. I heard about Caig from a guy on Audiogon that sold me some IC's. I have found it at www.audioadvisor.com
There is another cleaner for you RCA connectors made by Kontak, I think it is available at www.amusicdirect.com I don't think that it is intended for anything like tube sockets.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #15 of 23
Hey Calanctus - you don't want an Earmax Pro, you want a Melos SHA-1.

I thought I saw someone here selling one, too. And I think the guy selling it is even local to you, in NY.

Hey, it's me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back