How much leakage do open cans give?
Mar 15, 2007 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SLCentral

Head-Fier
I'm thinking of grabbing some HD650's, but this noise leakage problem worries me. I am often annoyed when I can hear other people's music when I am around, and if it's that bad, I'll just stick with my IEM's. I realize that cans are really for at-home use, but even at home, I don't like disturbing others. Could someone shed light as to how much leakage we're talking here?

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 6
They leak like almost like speakers especially with bassy music
wink.gif
I have a pair of HD650 + pair of HD580 and they do just that. They're not as bad as my SR-404, which actually, seriously, leak like speakers. You won't be able to hear it through doors or walls though. It's only when another person is in the same room within say a few feet can they then also enjoy whatever you're listening to.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They leak like almost like speakers especially with bassy music
wink.gif
I have a pair of HD650 + pair of HD580 and they do just that. They're not as bad as my SR-404, which actually, seriously, leak like speakers. You won't be able to hear it through doors or walls though. It's only when another person is in the same room within say a few feet can they then also enjoy whatever you're listening to.

I've always thought the HD580 did a pretty good job keeping sound in. Well, it doesn't, but it doesn't leak enough for people to be able to clearly hear what I'm listening to unless they are about a foot away. Maybe I just listen to my music at very low volumes...

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 6
they leak, but to the amount where if you're blasting your ears off, the people in the room can hear the music, but it wont vibrate throughout the house or anything.

when i listen to my hd595 at normal listening levels (which are very open), people sitting 3 feet away from me can't tell what i'm listening to cuz its all muffled already.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 6
My HD600s are not as bad as my Grado/Alessandros, but even they don't cause a problem as long as I'm keeping the vol to a reasonable level. And even then folks can't admit to knowing what I'm listening to.

Naw; the HD600s aren't all that bad and with their relatively subdued highs....compared to the Grados....the sound they do give off isn't quite as annoying in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back