How much is your rent?
Jul 19, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #31 of 43
if you pay extra, make sure that money goes towards a good location

my new place is 1.00 miles from my workplace. that's a 10 minute walk, or a 3 minute bike ride. saves not just gas--but wear and tear on the car (short distances commute are BAD)

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #32 of 43
Yeah, go for the nice one for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm throwing $2000/month here for one bedroom house and I can't even say it is really nice. I live in the Thames riverside and I have a bridge very close. I wonder if I could live under it and then buy a PS-1 each month with the money I would be saving.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #33 of 43
Even though I "own" the condo I live in, I still consider my mortgages and HOA fees "rent."
So my "rent" ends up costing around $1500/month (not including property tax) for a 1 bed / 1 bath unit.

So as long as I pay the rent I basically bought rent control and eviction immunity.

I decide when to move, not some @sshat landlord. I've looked at what people are charging for rent for similar units as mine (they bought years before, so they are making lots of money), and at most, if I rented, at most, I'd save $150/month tops. So, $150/month is more than worth it for the "freedom" and peace of mind.

-Ed

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #34 of 43
Ideally I'd love to follow many of your guys' advice and buy something. But I'm currently in no position to buy anything, as I have very little money saved up, and staying in Seattle is an indefinite and impermanent thing. My fiancee is planning on attending law school, so I may have to up and leave to be with her. We can't be tied down with paying for a property up here.

Given that, and given that I've lived in a place with a rent of essentially $166/mo for the past year, I think I'm ready to move onto something a *little* nicer. I'm just sick of having to do my laundry at odd hours just so I don't have to wait in line. And I'm even more sick of doing my laundry only to find it isn't dry, and I have to waste more money and time drying it again. I'm sick of having to drive to the gym during their operating hours--it results in me not working out when I'm busy, and I NEED to workout (I'm getting flabby). I'm just sick of this sub-standard living that we've been enduring for the past year--more sick of it for my fiancee than for myself. I'm not picky and I'm used to poor living conditions--but I want her to be next door to her friends and live comfortably.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 43
Go for the nicer place. Not having to go to the laundromat is nearly priceless. I pay $1215 a month for my 2BR, 1 bath apartment. It's pretty nice, and I wouldn't be able to save much living someplace crappier (well maybe, but I'd be risking death). It's worth something to come home to a place you like and enjoy living in.

My rent is approx. 40% of my take home pay. I wouldn't want to dedicate much more than that and really I'd prefer less, but cost of living here is high and it'll be a while till I'm making significantly more.

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I think the price is coming down in the next couple of years.

Not in Manhattan...not anytime soon. The normal rules do not apply here, and it sucks.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #37 of 43
If it's truly a financial decision, location to work/school would count. At over $3 a gallon, I value every trip. Our housing choice was based on getting central A/c rather than swamp coolers which is not easy to find here.

It's a big jump from $166 to $1000 though! Plus you will have ALL of the electric, trash etc thats not part of rent.

However, privacy is priceless so that come with either

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #38 of 43
I live in Australia > Queensland with two flatmates. Our townhouse is fairly average with three bedrooms. We each pay our landlord $300/month. Rent has not increased for 2 years. *fingers crossed*

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
EXACTLY. Please someone tell my wife this, she won't listen to me!

The single most important factor in whether you will become wealthy or not is what??

That's right, who you marry.

But then again, you can't choose who you fall in love with... And love provides infinitely more happiness than money. So I wouldn't worry about it Jahn..
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]**Assuming you love your wife more than money and headphones.**
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #40 of 43
I'm somewhat familiar with how far money goes and what it can get in the Seattle area. Generally I would say save your money, but in your specific case, I would probably go for the higher price apartment.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #41 of 43
wow i was in the exact same situation as you 6 months ago, i chose the 500$/month room rental. found a nice older man who rents rooms in his house to students around the Boston college area, i have a room and my own bathroom for 510$ including all utilites and cable internet.

my other options were well into the $1000 range. and over the last 6 months that equates to over $3000 difference.

id say if you can find a place for cheap then go for it, worst comes to worse you move out and wont have any trouble finding $1000/month apartments.
ive become comfortable here with no regrets, but for unrelated reasons i am moving to new jersey when my lease runs up in august.

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #42 of 43
Saving money is great, but peace of mind is always good to have. Convenience is a factor too. I'm paying 260 Euros a month for my apartment, a dorm with a communal kitchen and showers. The room itself is about 11'x25' -- way more than enough for me -- but it's kind of dumpy and not terribly clean. Biggest problem is, it's on the outskirts of town, so it takes 45 minutes to get downtown *if* I catch the R-10 train, which leaves twice an hour. If one apartment is nicer, offers great amenities, and is in a better location, I'd probably swing for that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back