How much is this worth?
Jan 13, 2002 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
LeI currently have a Denon 370 to a cmoy to HD580s.

How much would I have to spend on a source/speakers/amp to achieve this quality? Just interested. About 3K?

Jan 13, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 15
well all you need is a good amp
and good speakers and interconnects

yah i say arond 3k

maybe

i donno
I would think some martin logan aenon and a musical fidelity ac3 can do the job well

Jan 13, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 15
Ugh. I would never compare headphone performance to speaker performance using price. They are really two different beasts, one is not better than the other and does not have a better price/performance ratio than the other. Give yourself less than $1000 for a speaker system and you will find it really good... it is hard to compare headphones to speakers...

Jan 13, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Headphones and speakers have different sonic qualities. What's great about one is not necessarily what's great about another.

I'd say you'd have to spend around $1000 for a low-end audiophile-grade speaker setup. Here's a specific recommendation for you:

Magneplanar MMG speakers -- $550

Good amplification -- to do this cheaply, you're looking (probably) at a NAD integrated amp, used. Used C-350s can be found for around $250-$350. The C-350 is 60 watts/channel continuous into 8 ohms, but can provide 190 watts/channel dynamic into the 4 ohm load the Maggies present. There are older NAD integrated amps that provide equivalent or more power for around the same price or a bit less. I managed to find a NAD 2200 power amp and an 1155 preamp for $100; deals like this are pretty rare and you'd basically have to luck into it.

Use your existing CD player for a source, and you've got an audiophile-grade high end and midrange, lacking only the bottom octave of bass extension, which most music lacks anyway. If you want to have it covered, a passive sub would be the cheapest solution, but that puts a bit more strain on your amplification. A small powered sub would cost a bit more, and would fill in the low end nicely as long as you don't have a large listening room.

Fair warning, though -- the Maggies, while absolutely incredible for transparency, soundstage, and realism, don't "rock" like dynamic speakers, so if you listen to a lot of heavy metal or (especially) hip hop, you'd probably not like them very much. But for jazz and classical, they're superb. Soft rock, classic rock, and alternative are toss-ups -- you may find them too laid-back, or you may love the realism and purity of sound.

The MMGs are the cheapest Maggies. They have a 60 day "return them if you don't like them for any reason" policy, so you'd be able to do an extended audition before committing to them. Just make sure you have adequate amplification beforehand.

Jan 13, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 15
Personally, I would be thinking along the lines of... Triangle Titus dynamic speakers ($500/Stereophile class B FWIW), Bottlehead foreplay pre ($150), ASL Waves monoblocks ($240)... because tubes rock
smily_headphones1.gif
Actually this is the system I am after... the lowest octave of bass would be missing as well.

Jan 13, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 15
Chych is right, why go solid state?
TUBE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Antique Sound Lab MG-SI 15DT Integrated Amplifier @ $600, I've been wanting to get one myself, but haven't been able to find an affordable pre-amp to go along with it. You miss on the extremes of both ends of the spectrum and not as high of resolution as amps that cost 4x more, but that's no biggie, it sounds awesome!
For speakers, I would recommend a pair of Athena Technologies SP2, and two P2 subwoofers (around $1200 total). Add in $200 for good interconnect and speaker cable. That shades you $1000 from what you were expecting.

Jan 13, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Chych is right, why go solid state?
TUBE!
smily_headphones1.gif

Antique Sound Lab MG-SI 15DT Integrated Amplifier @ $600, I've been wanting to get one myself, but haven't been able to find an affordable pre-amp to go along with it.

If it's an integrated amp, isn't the preamp built in?

Jan 13, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, integrated = pre + power, though sometimes you can bypass the pre part of the integrated and use it just as a power...

Jan 13, 2002 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

Antique Sound Lab MG-SI 15DT Integrated Amplifier @ $600, I've been wanting to get one myself, but haven't been able to find an affordable pre-amp to go along with it.

dude, it's an integrated amp. You don't need a preamp!
smily_headphones1.gif

And be sure that you can find some good high-efficiency speakers to go along with it. the Moth Audio Cicada is supposed to be pretty good, and it's pretty cheap at $700. no bass below 60Hz though. Now we're getting into the real old-fashioned stuff!
cicadaredhi2.jpg
cicadaredclose.jpg

(no, those aren't lowthers. they're 7.5" fullrange drivers made with the same frame. DIYers can buy 'em for $112 apiece)

Jan 13, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #12 of 15
I do, but the width/depth is for the base and not the tower itself. the dimensions are 13"Wx12"Dx41"H.

here's a review, using (suprise!) the ASL MG-SI 15DT amplifier to power it.

Jan 13, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #15 of 15
I would second chych's rec... unless you're looking to get that lowest octave of bass, the Triangle's seem to be the steal for sub-$1000 speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back