How much is Smeggy Thunderpants worth?
Nov 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 20
If you want good advice on which headphones to purchase, we will need a little more information than that.
​The best information to help us out is:  What you used before, why you're upgrading, where and how often do you listen, what do you look for in a pair of headphones, and what music you listen to.

Other information that's necessary for us to help you would be:  Maximum price range, Wearing style (in-ear, on-ear, over-ear), and whether you want open or closed back.

That way we can tailor our list of choices to your specific needs, as well, if you give a region where you live (i.e. New York) someone else in that area may be able to find a deal for you.

Hope I could help,
-Nemo

p.s.  Next time you start a thread, choose a title that identifies what you're asking about.  Otherwise few people who can help will.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3 of 20
Okay, I want around ear,both closed and open is good.

Australia.

I want something kind of special and highly sought like Smeggy.But not something that takes over 500 Aus dollars. Maybe a device made by an electronic junkie in his shack. Thats because i watched movies and usually its some old super skilled guy who makes stuff in garage and somehow creates masterpiece thing.

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Ive seen some of Smeggy's woodwork and theyre very sweet looking,but have never heard them.

A lot of folks do nice custom woodwork for modding Grados,but you kinda have to be into the Grado sound for that to be an option.

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 20
Design doesn't matter, but we notice that a lot of modern consumer class headphones in the $200-$400 is bought in electronic retails and I want to inform them to think more about what they can actually do with that money. I highly doubt that anything I buy will be retail, because my budget is going by poor faggotry.

I don't have any technical skills or neccessary goal, the purpose of buying a headphone is to feel materialized because audio is a must have thing for obsessed music listeners.

I will keep looking for the cheapest but most desireable items there are. The Alpha dogs seemed like the best step. But that isn't practical for me, I need auxillary jack.

I need a new source, my phone is samsung junior its ok but lacks depth though its still better than my Xduuo 2 imo since its just mushed up noises, I'm using my PCM D50 as a dac, its weird since some of my MP3 files dont work.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 20
Design doesn't matter, but we notice that a lot of modern consumer class headphones in the $200-$400 is bought in electronic retails and I want to inform them to think more about what they can actually do with that money. I highly doubt that anything I buy will be retail, because my budget is going by poor faggotry.

I don't have any technical skills or neccessary goal, the purpose of buying a headphone is to feel materialized because audio is a must have thing for obsessed music listeners.

I will keep looking for the cheapest but most desireable items there are. The Alpha dogs seemed like the best step. But that isn't practical for me, I need auxillary jack.

I need a new source, my phone is samsung junior its ok but lacks depth though its still better than my Xduuo 2 imo since its just mushed up noises, I'm using my PCM D50 as a dac, its weird since some of my MP3 files dont work.

Items that are handmade by a single person(like Smeggy) are going to cost more than a mass produced item imported from China.

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 20
I see what you're looking for.

The only headphones I know of that resemble that style are ZMF.
ZMF fit's drivers from Fostex headphones into beautiful custom built wood shells and allows you to choose from a large variety of woods (depending on the headphones).  Then, they break in and "tune" the drivers so the headphones sound exactly as you want them to.  ZMF even allows for a free "re-tune" if they don't sound exactly how you want them to.

I think they might be starting to become a somewhat bigger company now because everyone want's them and they released their first headphones without modified drivers, however the roots of the company definitely fit what you're looking at.

Nov 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 20
I see what you're looking for.

The only headphones I know of that resemble that style are ZMF.
ZMF fit's drivers from Fostex headphones into beautiful custom built wood shells and allows you to choose from a large variety of woods (depending on the headphones).  Then, they break in and "tune" the drivers so the headphones sound exactly as you want them to.  ZMF even allows for a free "re-tune" if they don't sound exactly how you want them to.

I think they might be starting to become a somewhat bigger company now because everyone want's them and they released their first headphones without modified drivers, however the roots of the company definitely fit what you're looking at.

I'm highly aware of these small companies, I would be asking for your knowledge and example for what I should buy next. The mad dogs are said to be better than Thunderpants, no one seems to be interested in comparing things. I should directly ask another user who owns Thunderpants about why they wouldn't sell it. I have numerous options, I could get AKG, Earphones, a new phone such as the HTC.

Nov 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #10 of 20
That's no news, most items can be distinguished if its a quality product through reviews.

TBH most of this thread makes little sense...Your title asks how much is a Thunderpants worth? I proceed to explain that hand made items are going to be more expensive,and you dismiss my comment by saying "thats not news"

Then you use terminology like "because my budget is going by poor faggotry."...what the hell does that even mean?

If you want help with a better sounding headphone,try explaining what it is about your current headphone that you do or do not like.

As for me,i will see myself out....

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 20
Smeggy Thunderpant's value doesn't come from its sound quality. It comes from the bare social enthusiasm that surrounds it, if we had people who review it today. Smeggy used to develop the wooden shells for T50RP and out of nowhere and leaves things hanging. The fashion that he left caused controversy, people who were associated with were disolved from the controversy. I don't know what really happened, all we could get is a part of the controversy. This sells for a high price, around and more than $300.

I read a post on head fi where a user said paradox and mad dogs were better. That kind of claim would effectively confuse my idea of Thunderpants. I own the DBV#3 T50RP mod headphones as well, they were not as good as expected despite having a serious outlook on Audiblebond. Older headphones are unreliable as they are not compared with today's tech. Especially modded ones. We see that the audio reviews can be confusing and equal that with sensational articles I can barely trust. So much talk no critical urge to let customers understand how the item performs. I'm still confused by the different opinions.

May 20, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Smeggy Thunderpant's value doesn't come from its sound quality. It comes from the bare social enthusiasm that surrounds it, if we had people who review it today. Smeggy used to develop the wooden shells for T50RP and out of nowhere and leaves things hanging. The fashion that he left caused controversy, people who were associated with were disolved from the controversy. I don't know what really happened, all we could get is a part of the controversy. This sells for a high price, around and more than $300.

I read a post on head fi where a user said paradox and mad dogs were better. That kind of claim would effectively confuse my idea of Thunderpants. I own the DBV#3 T50RP mod headphones as well, they were not as good as expected despite having a serious outlook on Audiblebond. Older headphones are unreliable as they are not compared with today's tech. Especially modded ones. We see that the audio reviews can be confusing and equal that with sensational articles I can barely trust. So much talk no critical urge to let customers understand how the item performs. I'm still confused by the different opinions.
I have a Thunderpants that Smeggy made (cocobolo wood). They are one of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. I don't plan to sell them ever. Not only are they a collector's item, but even after all these years, I'd say they are in my top 5 headphones I've ever heard and I've pretty much heard every single headphone that exists aside from the Orpheus. I've heard both the Mad Dogs and Paradox. While the Paradox is better than the Mad Dogs and sounds really good, the Thunderpants are much better than either one, especially the Mad Dogs, not really sure how anyone would truly disagree. Even Tyll doesn't disagree, his old measurements highly praise the Thunderpants.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 20
I have a Thunderpants that Smeggy made (cocobolo wood). They are one of the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. I don't plan to sell them ever. Not only are they a collector's item, but even after all these years, I'd say they are in my top 5 headphones I've ever heard and I've pretty much heard every single headphone that exists aside from the Orpheus. I've heard both the Mad Dogs and Paradox. While the Paradox is better than the Mad Dogs and sounds really good, the Thunderpants are much better than either one, especially the Mad Dogs, not really sure how anyone would truly disagree. Even Tyll doesn't disagree, his old measurements highly praise the Thunderpants.

How do I drive a Thunderpants?

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 20
OK, I found an Akai integrated amp equalizer cassette player full set at my local salvation shop called am200. Its the full set like this except silver tinged for $10 as is.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...nclQL1L_282mbzLatYEiUGgo-uvPIBNyWqacq23dLjumA

SO I WONDER IF ITS GOOD. Because there's either gon be nothing special about it or be quite decently nice

I have just obtained a secondary source of a person saying "the best amplifier i ever had! 10**********" by the name of Viorel_25.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back