How much HD space does a clean installed XP takes?
Jan 20, 2004 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
On my machine it seems to take unusual high amount of space ...around 3.5GB. I doubt it had reformatted the hard drive before reinstall. What about you guys? Does 3.5GB sound normal to you guys?

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't think it is more than about 1.2GB worth of data. 3+GB sounds like a bit much to me.

I just checked and even with all the updates and everything I have installed my Windows directory only contains 1.29GB worth of data.

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 9
Dude!! I thought Win XP would format the HD first before reinstall!! It doesn't!!
Please tell me how to format the hard drive!! Command prompt doesn't let me do that! Help!

Jan 20, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 9
you need to boot to DOS. you can't have the OS running while you're deleting it
wink.gif
then "format c:".

not sure how it works with XP, but with ME, you have to make a diskette, and boot from that (instead of the HD). you may need to go into the BIOS (hitting del, for f2 or something during boot) and change the boot order to read the diskette-drive first.

Jan 20, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Luvya
Dude!! I thought Win XP would format the HD first before reinstall!! It doesn't!!
Please tell me how to format the hard drive!! Command prompt doesn't let me do that! Help!

Did you get to this screen?

attachment.php

Delete the partition(s), then create a new one.
This will wipeout the drive.

Jan 21, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 9
My PC had 1mb used after a clean install (formatted the drive). This is in addition to the 2.1GB that cannot be occupied by the user. (HD claims 30gig, actually 27.9) Of course most if not all drives claim more than they technically have. (I think it's used for the OS or something). Some kids even sued the PC companies for this . . .

Jan 21, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Under 350MB.

Well, with some tweaking.

Ah, I remember 98lite.
I had forgotten to follow their progress when xp came out.
This is some cool info.
Thanks for the link!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back