How much have you spent on headphone related equipment.
Nov 11, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #76 of 90
Chants: "Jatinder! Jatinder!..."

Biggie.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #77 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

$1043. OH MY GOD. I'm 16 years old! And all of that came out of my pocket, meaning running around soccer fields reffing the little cretins of SUV driving moms, mixing sound for ballets, orchestras, dance groups, etc, and fixing peoples computers. Jeez. I'm screwed.
rolleyes.gif

Gah, if you factor in retail price. . .

Add another highschooler who has spent far beyond what his allowance should allow (Acually, i work a job, but i digress)

550 Melos Sh1 a
185 Beyerdynamic 931's
85 Cables and such
125 Art DI/o and mods
30 Sporta pro's
60 Turtle beach santa cruz

850 $. Well, it's not THAT much, i just gotta fund a standard fare highschool relationship
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #78 of 90
ah, relationships can suck money out of you like our hobby can
biggrin.gif

after returning to this post, i was thinking about how much Nik had spent again. $38k, jeebus (yeah that's right, i'm still shocked, and forever will be
tongue.gif
). --> $38k - $12k orpheus from headroom = $26k. $26k leftover for an awesome source, cables, etc....

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #79 of 90
Hi kin3tix,

first I prefer the R-10/R-10H to the Orpheus, because I do not like the electrostatics cans, consider even that the R-10 combo retails 8K and the Orpheus 12K. Second I arrived to build a custom amp for the R-10 after a lot of trouble with others amps, I’m telling that I’d not thought that the R-10 needs a very hi quality amp. Third do you know any others source that plays like the Sondek, even between the two boxes? I had a lot of sources before, but never I experimented what I’m listening today. I’d don’t sell my equipment for the price I paid certainly.

biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nicola

PS:

I updated my list with the replacements pads, that are 300$ a pair.
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #80 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
OBTW, if you read Nik's profile you'll see that it lists those power cables and ICs as LIQUID filled!! Has anyone ever heard of something like that???

Lord Bless

Yup, IIRC Purist was the first to do this. When I worked for Swans that's what we used for speaker wire. Man, lugging a box of those around was just about as bad as the speakers.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #81 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by Nik
... first I prefer the R-10/R-10H to the Orpheus, because I do not like the electrostatics cans, ...

Hi Nik,

How long have you spent with the Orpheus?

--Jatinder

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #82 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
Yup, IIRC Purist was the first to do this. When I worked for Swans that's what we used for speaker wire. Man, lugging a box of those around was just about as bad as the speakers.

Any idea how they do that? Much less what do they use as a conductor for the signal path?? Liquid conductors, who woulda thunk it.....

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #83 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero

Nah, Purist used liquid shielding with metal conductors. I almost bought a set of Colossus ICs and a Digital cable cable this weekend but they were just too big and heavy. If I went that route I might as well picked up some Nites since they are receiving much better reviews (albit with much more widespread use) but fire hose cables just wouldnt work for me.

I wonder if the Shipnys have a liquid conductor or just liquid shielding, they look an awful lot like the PADs.

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #84 of 90
Liquid shielding?????? I agree with your synopsis: given the price of these cables, I would go for the VD Nites in a heart beat. Epspecially since they are running a sale on a Nite package right now. (3) power cables, (2) ICs, (8) ft of speaker cable, and something else I can't remember for a mere $6500 or so!!! Much better than the retail price of $9000+. Such a deal!!

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #85 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by jatinder
Hi Nik,

How long have you spent with the Orpheus?

--Jatinder

Hi Jatinder,

nice to speak with you again!

I heard the Orpheus just one time and not so long. My considerations about the BO are not based on the test I had. I repeat, the typical electrostatic sound I don’t like. The Orpheus, certainly is the best electrostatic cans, but do not corresponds to my own musical tastes. I remember what you told me about the difference between the two cans, and at that time your first was the R-10, if I remember well. And when you speak of the R-10 you cannot speak of the R-10H, this is a very important aspect speaking of this headphone!!!!! The R-10/EAR HP-4 is a good combo, but the R-10/R-10H is immensely better. For ex. the med-band are outstanding in the R-10, the pleasure of the music, the real sense of live music is what I find unequally in the Sony. I imagine that the Sennheiser is more transparent, and detailed, but I do not research this in a cans. I do not love exaggerated monitoring listening. I have not the passion to find something in the recordings that no any person had found before, I’m not interested in this, I only want to listen my music, humanely! And I can to tell that this dream is reality today for me. I’d do not change the R-10 system with the Sennheiser system. And more with the HD-90 you can’t change the amp, with the R-10 you always can to update your amp. and to go better and better.

If you'll visit me, bring your Orpheus and we campare the two systems!

PS:
I shipped the R-10H for the new pot (ALPS RK-50), the designer told me that is really better, now I wait for the amp in the end of this week and I’ll tell you what is changed in the sound.

Regards
Nicola

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #86 of 90
Hi Nik,

After using the Orpheus for some time now, I find the Orpheus every bit as natural as the R10. The Orpheus has never sounded as though it had too much detail - it is more detailed and possibly more natural than the R10. The big differences between the two are in tonal balance, soundstaging and frequency response.

I will come and visit Italy and your R-10H - it's just a matter of time -- and I'll bring the HP4 - the Orpheus is too bulky.

--Jatinder

Nov 16, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #87 of 90
It makes more sense if you relate your expenditures to what you spend on, for instance, your music sources.

As for myself, I have only spent about USD 2000 on headphones over about 10 years (incl. Staxes, ETY's, all kinds of Sony's, cords, excl. other equipment). Generally, I spend about USD 2000 a year on audio hardware. I also spend about USD 500 a month going to concerts, buying cd's, downloading music etc., so my hardware expenditure seems quite reasonable. Take into account that as a music critic I also receive free passes to concerts and about 10 promotional cd's a month.

Nov 16, 2002 at 6:32 AM Post #88 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by neckfox
Take into account that as a music critic I also receive free passes to concerts and about 10 promotional cd's a month.

Watch out Neckfox!! Some of the readers here might want to know if you'd like an assistant to fly over and work for you for a while to get those free concerts and CDs!!!!

Nov 17, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #89 of 90
Quote:

Add another highschooler who has spent far beyond what his allowance should allow (Acually, i work a job, but i digress)

The scary part is, I don't get allowance.
eek.gif
All that came from working!

Nov 18, 2002 at 11:25 AM Post #90 of 90
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
The scary part is, I don't get allowance.
eek.gif
All that came from working!

Not scary at all. Rather commendable in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back