How much does source impedance of an amp alter the sound of a headphone?
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 56
So I had it backwards?

Ideally you want a low ohm source for high ohm headphone? and a high ohm source for a low ohm headphone?

Is that correct?

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #19 of 56
Low ohm source is almost always better. 99.9% of the time, it'll be better. The exception is when the headphone was designed to be used with 120 ohm sources, which is very rare.

Edit: Sometimes people will prefer a high impedance source, but that is very unpredictable because high impedance affects all headphones slightly differently, but generally entails a potentially less tight bass and emphasis on the 100-125hz region. I personally believe that the actual damping effect of it is lesser in headphones, as outlined in my OP post, but the effect does exist.

Quote:
So I had it backwards?

Ideally you want a low ohm source for high ohm headphone? and a high ohm source for a low ohm headphone?

Is that correct?

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 56

Quote:
Low ohm source is almost always better. 99.9% of the time, it'll be better. The exception is when the headphone was designed to be used with 120 ohm sources, which is very rare.

Edit: Sometimes people will prefer a high impedance source, but that is very unpredictable because high impedance affects all headphones slightly differently, but generally entails a potentially less tight bass and emphasis on the 100-125hz region. I personally believe that the actual damping effect of it is lesser in headphones, as outlined in my OP post, but the effect does exist.

Thank you. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 56

Quote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, using specific examples

Centrance DACmini (10ohm) -> Grado (32ohm) = bad
Centrance DACmini (1ohm) -> Grado (32ohm) = good

Centrance DACmini (10ohm) -> Beyer DT880 (600ohm) = good
Centrance DACmini (1ohm) -> Beyer DT880 (600ohm) = bad

Is this correct?

Thanks

For Grados 1 ohms would be preferred over 10 ohms.
With 600 ohm phones 1 or 10 ohms would be fine.
It doesn't matter too much because (obviously) 600 ohms is much higher than 1 or 10.  

You could argue that 1 ohm would be more versatile as you could easily drive low or high impedance phones with them..
With 600 ohm phones you also want to make sure you have enough voltage to drive the 600 ohm phones. Judging by the power supply jack on the DAC mini, it has enough voltage to drive 600 ohm 'phones. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
So I had it backwards?

Is that correct?

Actually, I think Grado may be one of those 0.1%, I think they were designed with the first Grado amps in mind, and I doubt these amps had a very low output impedance.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #23 of 56
Low impedance headphones can be driven from high output impedance sources. There is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Actually, I think Grado may be one of those 0.1%, I think they were designed with the first Grado amps in mind, and I doubt these amps had a very low output impedance.

Do you mean the Melos SHA or the RA-1? Both have very low output impedance, but a fairly colored sound. 
I like grados from an amp with a little (to a lot) of output impedance. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #25 of 56

Quote:
Then why is everyone up in arms now about the measured negative effects?

How can anyone really say negative? Some of the effects on SQ are quite positive on some headphones IMO. 

All one can really say objectively is that there is a difference. better/worse or positive/negative are totally subjective in absence of a standard that one agrees to follow. People listen to such a variety of headphones with such a variety of sounds that there is clearly no standard on head-fi. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #27 of 56

Quote:
Ah, well I like my Sony EX700 from a 25 ohm output impedance source, I think there is good synergy there, but I feel inclined to think that it's gin and tonic, both are sour, you mix them and it becomes sweet.

[sarcasm]
I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you that you are doing it wrong. 
If you drove them properly, from an amp with a 0-ohm output impedance, you would find them much more to YOUR liking.
That's right, I know what you should like and I'm going to tell you how to get it!
Please pay no attention to the fact that I know absolutely nothing about what you like. 
[/sarcasm]

Glad to hear you found a sound you like. I think the mixed drinks analogy is perfect. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #28 of 56

Since it is close to Christmas, here is my Christmas wish:

That all purveyors of fine solid state headphone amps provide TWO headphone jacks:

ONE with a very low output impedance, say an ohm or three. 

and a:

SECOND one with an output impedance of 120 ohms plus the option to reduce the impedance of the high output impedance via jumpers or dip switches to your favourite impedance.
Even a propeller head like me would want to experiment with the high impedance jack.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #30 of 56
I thought the RA-1 had a high Zout, my mistake.

Quote:
Low impedance headphones can be driven from high output impedance sources. There is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:

Do you mean the Melos SHA or the RA-1? Both have very low output impedance, but a fairly colored sound. 
I like grados from an amp with a little (to a lot) of output impedance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back