How much does it cost to have a *significant* upgrade
Sep 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

donnyz89

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm not an audiophile, I don't plan on having a collection. That being said, I do have several pairs of IEM: Meelectronics M31, M9. Brainwavz Pro Alpha. And I also have pair of on-ears (Meelectronics HT-21)

Anyways, part of me wants to upgrade but I don't know much difference it would make if I get something under $100, is it going to sound that much better than what I have right now? Also, part of me wants to get an over-the-ear but I wear glasses so over-ears tend to press on my frame and cause discomfort. So, with IEMs, what price range am I going to be looking at if I want something that will make a *SIGNIFICANT* improve than what I have right now. The type of improvement that I can hear and enjoy... not just minute differences that a non-audiophile won't notice the difference to.

Would $200 get me a pair IEM that is going to be a big improvement from what I have right now? or am I better off getting some over the ears? and will THOSE sound better than what I have? I had some CAL!s and they sound terrific and were comfortable, I may just rebuy them at a good price if I can find them, but am open to other suggestions. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi!

1.What kind of music do you prefer?
2.Do you prefer a polite sounding headphone or a more aggressive one?
3.Do you need Isolation?

There are a lot of "technically superior" headphones, but it is really important to know what kind of sound do you prefer.

As an example, Grado's PS1000, Sennheiser HD800, and Audeze LCD-2 are amazing headphones (Technically) but some people just don't enjoy one or the other.

I want to say, a significant technical upgrade is not strictly a real upgrade for your tastes.

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 4
I bought the Bijou3 a year back for RM$170, last month I got the T-Peos H-100 for RM$400. Though the cost is more than double, I'll say the SQ improvement is about 20-30%. Problem is I don't really like the H-100 V shaped signature but the soundstage, treble extensions are much better than the Bijou3.

I agree with Me x3. It's important to know what type of sound signature you like before making any purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back