How much does it cost Dominos to make a pizza?
Sep 29, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 30
I worked at a dairy queen for a while and a small blizzard cost around 52 cents to make with the cup and spoon. I think they sold for around $3.30. Our store never really made much money at all. It was in a terrible location though. It was in a real big mall on the side with no big/remotely popular stores.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #17 of 30
Having worked for Domino's about 2 years ago, I remember the cost of a large being about $3.00 - $4.00 with labor etc factored in. I know the owner (owns 3 stores) reported a profit of about $1.8 million the last year I worked there (and that's what he decided to report). He doesn't work, nor does his wife nor any of his 3 children.

The workers got no benefits, no breaks, earned minimum wage and had to put up with crappy shift managers.

However, I did have fun while I worked there.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having worked for Domino's about 2 years ago, I remember the cost of a large being about $3.00 - $4.00 with labor etc factored in. I know the owner (owns 3 stores) reported a profit of about $1.8 million the last year I worked there (and that's what he decided to report). He doesn't work, nor does his wife nor any of his 3 children.

The workers got no benefits, no breaks, earned minimum wage and had to put up with crappy shift managers.

However, I did have fun while I worked there.

Why did you or other people work there, then? Why didn't you move to another job?

1.8 million a year seems like a lot, but I wonder how much he'd have to lose at first (land, buildings, tax, franchise cost, etc). Is that 1.8 million a net profit? Were they busy restaurants? I don't understand why people eat pizza; it's junk food although it does taste good.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did you or other people work there, then? Why didn't you move to another job?

He did say he had fun working there.

Quote:

I don't understand why people eat pizza; it's junk food although it does taste good.

Sep 29, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I worked at Dominos in Fresno for seven years (!) as a driver while I was putting myself through college.

We didn't get formal breaks...however, we stood around and went to the 7-11next door for periods far beyond the break periods (which is 10 minutes every four hours). In addition, we often got free pizza during our shift.

The owner had 13 stores, and didn't make anywhere near the amount of money mentioned in prior posts.

I actually really enjoyed that job...got some exercise, talked to people, got outdoors. Really good memories for me...although it is a dangerous job.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 30
One of my buddies owns a string of Burger Kings. He said the most profitable portion of any chain is the fountain drinks. You make what moneys you figuratively eat back and then some with the fountain drinks.

FWIW, my buddy manages a Pizza hut and give me free medium pizzas whenever I ask. What makes a pizza expensive? The veggies. They make the absolute largest margins on Cheese pizzas.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #22 of 30
Apparently not enough to make me eat it.
icon10.gif

loosebruce

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 30
Margins on pizza are 400%. Advice to any mom & Pop start-up? Hook up with an online full service digital agency. Give them 10% of the parent company, with a highly detailed contract, including basic franchise clause. Your website will be front page search engine placement, top 5 serps of youtube, front page top 5 social media sites, and a $585 per month online media buy for 1.585MM CPM buy in your geo-footprint. Translation? You'll own the strip mall in which your little 15 seater is located. Just make sure you have a wall of 16" pizza boxes ready.     

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #25 of 30
If the info in that Bar Rescue program (or whatever it's called) is correct, your food material costs should never exceed 1/3 of the selling price. So you should be able to backwards engineer the maximum cost from that. But then labor, rent, etc. is still on top of that.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #26 of 30
I don't understand how one huge pizza can cost $2-3 to make! If I go now to the supermarket and buy the ingredients I could easily spend over $10!

Maybe they are lower quality and/or brought in large volumes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back