How much does a PPX3 SLAM go for?
Nov 12, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JT33

New Head-Fier
I'm getting some K701's for christmas hopefully!
cool.gif
and would like to save up for a PPX3 SLAM. How much could I pick one up for used/new?

Nov 13, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 10
hi. the ppx slam has increased in price over the last few years. today it is around 950 for the basic one.

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 10
I am going to confuse you further and state the standard SLAM PPX3 is $899.
blink.gif

But I am pretty sure thats the correct price. The SLAM PPX3 is an awesome amp too .... you cant go wrong with this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am going to confuse you further and state the standard SLAM PPX3 is $899.
blink.gif

But I am pretty sure thats the correct price. The SLAM PPX3 is an awesome amp too .... you cant go wrong with this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

That isn't a bad price at all. I thought they were more expensive. So what does it cost to have the 12 volt switch and extra set of sockets for Loctal installed in the unit, not the adapters but actual sockets. I think you would notice a further increase in sound quality with real sockets as you cut down on contact and brass that is used for this in most adapters.

Nov 13, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 10
You are talking about having a loctal in the gain position only, correct? Part of what makes a Slam is that it comes with two 5687 adaptors for the output tubes. I have no idea what it would cost to have a loctal socket for the gain and correct 9 pin sockets for the outputs. I would think that SP could easily do it though.

I let Earl tackle the other questions.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy
You are talking about having a loctal in the gain position only, correct? Part of what makes a Slam is that it comes with two 5687 adaptors for the output tubes. I have no idea what it would cost to have a loctal socket for the gain and correct 9 pin sockets for the outputs. I would think that SP could easily do it though.

I let Earl tackle the other questions.

Yes in the gain position. For experimentation adapters are fine but for permanent use I would want sockets. I built a preamp that can use the following tubes for the gain: 27 (which the 29-32 Sylvania mesh plate is my favorite) the 55 (a rarely used grid cap triode/rectifier) and a couple of other tubes. I have three different sockets for each channel and two different filament supplies for both the power supply and preamp. On the preamp I can go up to 1 amp per tube for the heater. Having extra sockets is easy and while taking up some surface area, which there is plenty of on the Slam, underneath not much room is sacrificed.

Nov 13, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 10
Is the SLAM significantly better than the normal version of the PPX3? It seems like you could pick up a used regular PPX3 for ~$400 on the FS/FT forum. How much does a used PPX3 SLAM go for these days?

Nov 13, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't really know as I've never listened to a standard PPX3. The main improvement of a SLAM is that it allows the use of 5687 tubes for output. This increases the available current about 2.5 times. I need that current because I listen with K340s, which are extremely difficult to drive and need lots of current.

I started with a stock PPX3 that I bought used. I had the seller send it to SP where Mikhail did three upgrades:

1. Upgraded to 6sn7.
2. Upgraded to SLAM (power supply upgrade, 2 5687 adaptors and 4 Tung Sol 5687 tubes.
3. Stepped attenuator

I really like this amp in this configuration. Not long after receiving my SLAM, I also bought a loctal adaptor so I can run 7n7 family tubes in the gain position. I'm currently running a tall bottle Sylvania 7n7 as the gain and two D-gettor Tung Sol 5687 tubes for the output tubes. I really like this combo with the K340.

Recently, I bought a 6cg7 adaptor and several tubes. This is the tube that the basic PPX3 is set up for. I've since tried an RCA black plate 6cg7 as the gain tube. It's not bad, but is not near as good as the 7n7. It was rather two dimensional whereas the 7n7 is three dimensional.

So at a minimum I would suggest an upgrade to the PPX3-6sn7. If you have efficient headphones and don't need much current, this should work fine. If not, you'll have to upgrade to SLAM status. One of the great things about SP is that you can start with any level and then later send it in to be upgraded. If you just need adaptors to upgrade, you don't even need to send the amp in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back