How much does a decent vynil rig cost?
Jul 16, 2003 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
A decent table, neele, arm, counterweight... the works. Maybe a record cleaner. Also, do I need a preamp?

Right now I'm headed towards a C222ES. My other components are in my sig. If vynil will sound better (without adding absolutely anything else) then I may check it out.

But I can't have both.

So, can I get a great table for ~$300 (new or used)

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
You will need an amp that has a built in phono stage or an external one.

As it was explained to me records have a problem with very high and very low frequencies. The groove at these frequencies is uncuttable and unreadable by the stylus. To correct this emphasis is added at these frequencies. The recording industry (RIAA) came up with a curve that emphasizes these frequencies the phono stage strives to negatively match exactly effectively canceling the emphasis that was added to the recording. The better your phono stage the better it matches the curve and the more your recording sounds like the engineer and artist intended.

Jul 17, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 8
So how much is a phono stage, and how much will a table + needle + phono stage cost me?

Jul 17, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Honestly, go with the format that you already have more music on.

It takes owning a digital rig for a year or so to truly appreciate analog.

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 8
To help answer your question, for a decent right (table, arm, needle) you can get an excellent Rega P3. Phono stages can start around $200 and up. Check out the website Music Direct for plenty of price ideas on turntable equipment (including cleaners).

As far as getting a great table, if you go used you may be able to find an older table for that price range.

Personal preference is get the 222ES and get the turntable.

rs1smile.gif

Jul 17, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 8
A friend of mine does an enormous amount of recording, he suggests the Technics SL 1200 as one kick butt turntable, I think he uses a top end shure cartridge or grado

Jul 17, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Another thing to consider is the availability of the music you like to listen to on vinyl. It would do you no good to have even an entry level vinyl rig if you cannot find the albums to listen to.

Jul 18, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 8
I REALLY like my Music Hall mmf 2.1. It sounds very good for $299 plus tax. You can get it someplaces for $269 shipped. Do a search on Audiogon. You can get records pretty cheap and sometimes its the only way to get oop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back