How much do electrostatic earspeakers leak?
May 28, 2012 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thelion

New Head-Fier
I understand someone else several feet away can hear them, but it depends on the angle they are to me?

Or have I got the totally wrong idea?

I'm considering Stax SR-307 as my entry into electrostatic headphones, but I have no idea what kind of leakage there is? It matters, because of where I'd like to use them...

http://staxusa.com/Earspeaker/STAX-SR-307.html

Compared to closed ear audio-technica = 1, then Stax = what? in terms of sound leakage, or better, advice on how to lower sound leakage in effect, if it is directional like I heard?   

May 28, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 5
'Stats are dipole radiators, meaning the same sound wave is moving towards you and outwards from you, with the same amplitude. So it's as bad as it gets with leakage, more so than conventional dynamic headphones. If you want too keep it quiet with a 'stat only options are to listen at low volume level or get the SR-4070. and maybe SR-003.

May 28, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 5
Ok, got it. In that case, any mods or cover I can make to attach to the other side of the 'stats to diminish what any person 4 ft+ away from me in any direction would hear? Making it a semi-(semi-)-closed?

Would such attachments ruin the sound of the 'stats that I hear (by reflecting some back to me, maybe)? Off the top of my head, think thin slabs of dense mass loaded vinyl, angled, suspended several cm from each outer casing? Anyone tried this, or does that sound like nonsense?

EDIT: SR-4070 is closed? So that is possible? Why not, then mod the case of the SR-307?

EDIT 2: How fragile are 'stats in general? Suppose they are used every day?

May 28, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 5
You would dramatically alter the sound of any open headphone by enclosing it. The 4070 (and older Koss ESPs) are designed from the start to be closed. Really the leakage isn't that bad from my 950s - the F1s are worse, the HD 580s are about equal; unless you crank it isn't a huge problem.

Regarding fragility - it really depends on how you use them. If you're at home and don't bang them around, they probably will last for decades; if not, well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back