How much difference does upsampling make?
Dec 31, 2004 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

perdomot

100+ Head-Fier
Most of my music is mp3s made from CD rips or audio imported through the Line In port and sampled at 44.1. The 710 was supposed to enable resampling to 96 but is this audible to average listeners? I'm new to the technical aspects of music and am trying to figure out what's what. Thanks.

Dec 31, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 7
i really want to know the answer too, from a technical standpoint. i'm listening to the av710 with hisampling and foobar set to 96kh. i actaully hear a difference, a bit mroe spacious and harder bass. but it doesnt make sense. i mean you cant convert a 256kbs mp3 to 320kbs and expect it to sound better. or maybe it just makes it sound different, but not exactly better?

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 7
I think it really depends on what devices you're using. I can tell a difference on my Sonica between 44.1 and 96khz, but I prefer 44.1. Upsampling to 96khz sounds unnaturally airy and smooth. I've read some accounts where it made a very positive difference. If the difference is negligible or you really can't tell if it's better, I'd just leave it at 44.1.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Since hi sampling also limits the analog connections on the 710 card, this is another important factor. I'm having a hard time accepting that you can take a lower quality audio file and make it sound better via upsampling.

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 7
I've started this comment 3 times. I thought I had a fair idea of why upsampling should be worth while. I was going to compare it with video upsampling, and mention that many highend DACS were upsampling.

However I've done some googling, and I realise that its far more complex than I thought.

I think its just a case of try it and see
smily_headphones1.gif

Mark

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by perdomot
Since hi sampling also limits the analog connections on the 710 card, this is another important factor. I'm having a hard time accepting that you can take a lower quality audio file and make it sound better via upsampling.

Actually, with the AV710, limiting the analog connections is precisely what you are trying to do (for headphone/audiophile purposes anyway). The 7/8 outputs have a Wolfson DAC for the high res mode to enable 96khz sample rate. It has better specs than the card's other DACs, and some people think it provides much better sound. I personally haven't listened to this card, so I can't comment on that. But I think it is the different DAC that is expected to provide better sound moreso than the upsampling in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back