How much can I expect a DAC bolster my SQ?
Dec 14, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

adoit90

New Head-Fier
I'm still new to this, and hadn't really looked into what a DAC is even until today. I just looked it up after reading about someone possibly trying out a USB DAC with his Nokia N900 (portable) since it is technically a computer. This made me curious for use with both my PC and my own smart phone since it has a mini-USB to USB port.

What are some normal price ranges for a USB DAC and does anyone have any recommendations for the best budget model, one with the most "bang for the buck"?

Dec 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to suggest a budget for people to suggest units.

Sorry, I guess I have no idea what prices are. Maybe just a suggestion of good brands to look at?

I would say at most $100, but for all I know that is an absurdly low number when talking of DAC's.

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 4
The deal with DACS is that they are not going to help as much as headphone or amp. So unles your current DAC picks up computer hiss, or is malfunctioning, I would get a good amp and can so that when you do get a better DAC, you can clearly hear the difference. At least that is what happened to me. For the longest time I could not tell the difference between a compass DAC and built in one, until I switched computers and realized that the Dell built in one was not picking up noise, and my cans at the time were no resolving enough to pick up the differences.

-Nkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back