How much better can headphones sound?
Jan 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Flognuts

100+ Head-Fier
Im new and noob so be kind lol

I got a a xonar essence stx, ad 900's and foobar and everything is sounding so amazing, I feel as though i have reached the limits of audio quality (obviosuly I havent)

so my question is how much better can headphone music sound? can it sound alot better than my current set up, or am I already there?

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 7
Wait a few months or possibly up to a year. If you want it sooner, go try some new equipment
smily_headphones1.gif
Since it probably hasn't been said to you yet, sorry about your wallet.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 7
A whole industry is based around that very question! I'm no audiophile so my answer may seem elementary to those who are. I see your listening equipment like a window, the cleaner it is, the more detail you can see. You've managed to get some of the grime off and can sorta make out what's going on outside. The goal of an audiophile is to reach the point where even the glass is gone from the window.

If you really want to hear what you're missing, you should attend a Head-Fi meet or go to a high end audio store and audition some of the equipment. If you've got ears, the difference will be immediately apparent. Then you have to decide how much of an improvement you're willing to pay for. Good luck!
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 7
There is no "best". There is only "better". Hence the never ending rampant disease on here called upgraditis. Welcome to Headfi, home of the vengeful wallets.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 7
There is a best. When after about a month of using one device, you go back to the other for a little while. The differences should be noticeable immediately otherwise upgrading further would probably not be good for your wallet.

Headphones barred from this as they all seem to have different sound properties. So it becomes more subjective and every design seems to have some kind of strong point.

I am not an expert, actually quite green but I know placebo when I see it. At the same time different equipment can drive some headphones more efficiently than others, but that is based on assumption from rading common forum trends. I feel the cleaner the audio from the source to your headphones the better. It is better for your headphones to shine rather than the source making them shine imo.

Even electrostatic is different
wink.gif
. Definitely want to try them one day.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleFestive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A whole industry is based around that very question! I'm no audiophile so my answer may seem elementary to those who are. I see your listening equipment like a window, the cleaner it is, the more detail you can see. You've managed to get some of the grime off and can sorta make out what's going on outside. The goal of an audiophile is to reach the point where even the glass is gone from the window.

And yet you use an HD650?
very_evil_smiley.gif

For me the journey is very much about achieving the perfect looking glass so I agree with you

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flognuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im new and noob so be kind lol

I got a a xonar essence stx, ad 900's and foobar and everything is sounding so amazing, I feel as though i have reached the limits of audio quality (obviosuly I havent)

so my question is how much better can headphone music sound? can it sound alot better than my current set up, or am I already there?

Yes. It gets better. But you generally have to spend more and more for less and less improvement. Diminishing returns and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back