How much audio quality is lost in m4a to mp3 (320kbps)?
Jan 14, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #31 of 34
  Actually, it's better to lower digital volume slightly no matter what. A full 16 bits of resolution is usually unnecessary anyway, and all DACs perform worse with 0 dBFS signals.

Digital volume control has no channel balance issues, and does not increase electrical noise, distortion or crosstalk. It's much better than analog volume control unless too much is used and is making the quantization noise audible. -10 dB from ReplayGain is almost guaranteed to not make this happen, and absolutely guaranteed to not make this happen if using 24 bit playback. I use around -20 dB of digital volume control myself, between ReplayGain, my EQ, and my soundcard's volume control.

As long as you aren't lowering it enough for the quantization noise to be audible, there's no problems. If you're listening in an anechoic chamber at 90 dB with a 16 bit signal, then yes digital volume control like ReplayGain may make the sound worse. If you're padding your 16 bit files with 8 extra bits during playback, using a 24 bit signal, you have -48 dB of digital gain to play with before you lose any resolution at all, let alone audible resolution.

No recorded music in existence has enough dynamic range to make -10 dB compress it, the highest dynamic range I've heard of is 65 dB and most tracks are around 5-15. Dynamic songs are still ReplayGain's weakness, but that's because if it boosts the volume too much it can compress peaks to prevent clipping. It's the positive gain that's the problem, and is pretty much applicable to only classical. This problem can be solved with the preamp, or more digital volume control somewhere else.

So what ReplayGain settings would make it sound muffled and terrible at all volume levels? The only thing I did was remove the ReplayGain tags, and after that, the album sounded much better.

Jan 14, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #32 of 34

So what ReplayGain settings would make it sound muffled and terrible at all volume levels? The only thing I did was remove the ReplayGain tags, and after that, the album sounded much better.

None of them. If anything it was something specific to the album, which I'd have to see to know for sure what the problem is. I've never had this problem on any of the tracks I own.

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 34
  Few years ago, I used "MP3Gain" to "normalize" the volume of MP3 Files, replay gain is only a tag…Seems a plug-in of Foobar2000 can remove that tag, but I can't find that plug-in now…
confused_face.gif

Do you have the latest version of foobar?  You should be able to select all the files, right-click them-->ReplayGain-->Remove ReplayGain information from files.  Mp3tag or another tag editor can also remove replaygain tags.

Or do you mean the MP3Gain information?  If MP3Gain was set to write its information to tags (in addition to changing the gain), they were written to Ape v2 tags...if I remember correctly.  The gain change can be undone in MP3Gain if the tags weren't erased.  You can also check for the Ape tags with foobar, Mp3tag, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back